Add the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to the list of devices that run the latest Android version, aka Jelly Bean though in an unofficial capacity. XDA Elite Recognized Developer codeworkx has released a preview build of CM10 based on Jelly Bean for the Tab 2 7.0, bringing the proven CyanogenMod performance and customization options to the device along with the latest and greatest version of Android.
NOTE: This is only a preview build of CM10, so there may be lots of bugs in the ROM as well as things that won’t work properly. Also, don’t expect to find many customization options of CyanogenMod to be present in the ROM, as those haven’t been added to the CM10 Jelly Bean code yet.
Let’s take a look at how CM10 based on Jelly Bean can be installed on the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, model number P3100/P3110/P3113. It’s not compatible with other Galaxy Tab 10.1 variants or with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 on Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings. Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install ClockworkMod recovery on your Tab 2 7.0 by using the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the two zip files downloaded in step 3 and 4 to the microSD (external) card on the tablet.
- Turn off the tablet. Then, boot into ClockworkMod recovery by pushing and holding the Power and Volume Down (Volume Down button is the one next to the power button) buttons at the same time. When the Samsung Tab 2 7 logo appears you can release the power button but continue holding the volume button for a few more seconds. After a few seconds, CWM recovery will show up.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to navigate/scroll and the power button to select items.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot up into CM10. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
- Returning to Previous ROM: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
CM10 based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now installed and running on your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.