The Galaxy S3 is surely influencing a lot of developers and seeing them try to port Galaxy S3 features like its TouchWiz launcher, wallpapers, and more to other devices. The FE22 De-odexed ROM is a custom Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Android 4.0 based custom ROM for the Epic 4G Touch, by XDA Senior Member scarmon25, and is themed to look like the Galaxy S3 UI, based on the latest leaked Android 4.0 ROM — FE22.
Here are some of the features of FE22 De-odexed ROM:
- Launcher from Galaxy S3
- Themed MMS to mimic the SkyRocket MMS
- Mildy debloated. Some apks left as not to effect functionality
- Icons have been themed with the icons from the Galaxy S3
NOTE: Before you go ahead and install the ROM, keep in mind that it is based on a leaked Android firmware for the Epic 4G Touch, so it can have some issues and some things may not work properly.
Let’s take a look at how the Galaxy S3 themed FE22 De-odexed ROM can be installed on your Epic 4G Touch.
This procedure and the guide below is compatible only and only with the Epic 4G Touch, model number SPH-D710. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install FE22 Deodexed ROM on Epic 4G Touch
PART I: Downloading the ROM
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Copy the downloaded .zip file to the internal SD card on the phone.
PART II: Installing EL29 Stock ROM and EL26 Stock ClockworkMod Recovery
- Install the stock EL29 ROM using the guide → here.
- Download EL26 Stock CWM Recovery.
Download Link | Filename: StockCWM-EL26.tar.md5
- Download Odin 1.85 from → here.
Filename: Odin 1.85.zip | Size: 199 KB
- Extract the contents of the Odin 1.85.zip file to a folder.
- Disconnect your phone if it’s connected to PC. Switch Off your phone. Wait for vibration to confirm complete switch off.
- Now, put the phone in Download Mode — press and hold these keys together: Volume Down + Power. You’ll get a ‘Warning!‘ screen.. press Volume up to continue to enter download mode.
- Open Odin (from step 3) — double-click the Odin3 v1.85.exe file that you got after extracting the file Odin 1.85.zip.
- Connect your phone to PC now. You should get the message “Added! !” under Odin’s message box in the bottom left. If you don’t get this message, then probably there is a problem with drivers. Make sure you’ve proper drivers installed by downloading them from → here.
- In Odin, click the PDA tab, and select the file StockCWM-EL26.tar.md5 you obtained in step 2.
- Uncheck the Auto Reboot option in Odin.
- DO NOT make any other changes in Odin except selecting the PDA file and unchecking the Auto Reboot option as given in steps 9 and 10.
- Now, hit the START button to start flashing the CWM recovery. When the flashing procedure is finished, you’ll get a PASS message (with green background) in the left-most box at the very top of Odin.
IMPORTANT Note: If ODIN gets stuck and doesn’t seem to be doing anything, or you get a FAIL message (with red background) in ODIN, disconnect the phone from the PC, close ODIN, remove battery, re-insert it, turn phone on in Download mode again, and do the procedure again from Step 7.
- After the flashing procedure in Odin is complete, unplug your phone. Remove the battery, then re-insert it. However, DO NOT turn on the phone yet.
Part III: Installing the ROM
- Boot into ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up + Power buttons together till the screen turns on, then let go of the buttons to boot into CWM. In recovery, use the Volume buttons to scroll up and down and the Power button to select options.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on the next screen to confirm data wipe (will not erase SD card contents).
- Select mounts and storage, then select format system to format the system partition. Select Yes next screen to confirm. Go back to main recovery menu after recovery has been flashed.
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard (the one you downloaded in step 2 of Part I of the guide) and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install ______.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- The installation will take up to 5 minutes. After installation completes, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot into the FE22 De-odexed ICS ROM.
The FE22 De-Odexed ROM is now installed on your Samsung Epic 4G Touch. Visit the development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.