Samsung is surely working hard on getting the Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 update to all their Galaxy S2 phones in all the regions of the world. After the XWLP7 firmware for the UK/Ireland regions, XWLP8 has now been leaked for the Australian Optus version of the Galaxy S2, which will update your Galaxy S2 to Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3.
If you aren’t using the Optus/Australian version of the SGS2, it’s best to try the XWLP7 firmware for the UK/Ireland regions which we covered here. But if you do wanna try out XWLP8, it won’t cause any problems.
Read on to find out how you can update your Galaxy S2 to Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 with XWLP8 firmware.
This firmware and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Galaxy S2, model number i9100. It’s not compatible with any other device, including US variants of S2, the Epic 4G Touch, T-mobile Galaxy S2 and AT&T Galaxy S2 along with Skyrocket. Check your device’s model number in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- If you have Samsung’s PC software Kies installed, un-install it first because it may interrupt the flashing process.
- Drivers! — it’s important you’ve the proper drivers installed. Download links below.
32 bit (x86) Windows | 64-bit (x64) Windows
How to Install XWLP8 on Galaxy S2 i9100
- Download the XWLP8 firmware.
Download Link | Filename: I9100XWLP8_I9100OPSLP4_OPS.zip | Size: 717 MB
- Now, extract the downloaded file I9100XWLP8_I9100OPSLP4_OPS.zip (from step 1) to any folder, you’ll get these 2 files:
_I9100OPSL P4_I9100XX LPS_HOME.t ar.md5
- SS_DL.dll (simply ignore this one)
- Now, download the Odin software which you’ll need to flash the XWLP8 firmware on your Galaxy S2 i9100.
Download Link | Filename: Odin3 v1.83.exe
- Power off your phone and also disconnect it from PC if it’s connected, and don’t forget to keep phone’s battery above 50%, just to be safe. After the screen goes off, wait for vibration to confirm complete switch off.
- Boot Galaxy S2 into Download Mode in order to flash the XWLP8 firmware using Odin. For this, press and hold these keys together: Volume Down + Home + Power, you’ll get a Warning! screen.. press Volume up to continue to enter download mode.
- Open Odin (from step 3) — double-click the Odin3 v1.83.exe. The screenshots below show the Odin version as 1.85, ignore that.
- Connect your phone to PC now. You should get the message “Added!!” under Odin’s message box in the bottom left. If you don’t get this message, then probably there is a problem with drivers. Make sure you’ve proper drivers installed. See point 3 above under Pre-Installation Requirements.
- Now, click the PDA button in Odin, then select the I9100XWLP8
_I9100OPSL P4_I9100XX LPS_HOME.t ar.md5 file you obtained in step 2.1.
- Important! Do not touch any other button or make any other changes in Odin except selecting the required file as given in step 8. Your Odin screen should look like this after completing steps 7 and 8:
- Now, hit the START button to start flashing XWLP8 firmware. When the flashing procedure is finished, your phone will automatically reboot — and when you see the Samsung logo, you can safely unplug the cable. Plus, you’ll get a PASS (with green background) message in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. After successful flashing, your Odin screen will look like this:
IMPORTANT Note: If ODIN gets stuck at some stage and doesn’t seem to be doing anything, do this — disconnect the phone from the PC, close ODIN, remove battery, re-insert it, turn phone on in Download mode again, and do the procedure again from Step 6. Same if you get FAIL in Odin.
- After you’ve got the PASS message, the phone will probably get stuck at S logo. If it reboots fine without getting stuck at the S logo, then okay, skip to step 15, you’re done. But if doesn’t restarts, do steps 12 and onwards.
- Boot to recovery mode — for which, first power off phone and after screen goes off, wait for 5-6 seconds, and then press and hold Home + Volume Up + Power keys together. Once you are in recovery mode, use volume keys to move the selection up and down and power or home key to select the option
- Go to Factory Reset and select it. Select Yes on next screen
- Now, select reboot system now to boot your Galaxy S2. It will boot up fine. And you’ll have officialAndroid 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, firmware on your Galaxy S2 i9100. Go to Settings and scroll down and select About Phone and check the info there
- Also, if data network (3G, GPRS, etc.) isn’t working for you, you gotta fill in APN Settings meant for your carrier in Mobile and Network settings. Here’s a full list of carriers and their APN settings » Link
- In case you encounter any roadblocks flashing XWLP8, let us know in the comments below and we’ll try to help you out. Make sure you’ve followed step 11 though because that will solve your problems mostly!