If you could not download or install the latest Verizon Galaxy S5 update, build no. G900VVRU2BOE1 as an OTA, then there is a way out for you. You can use the Odin PC software to install the OE1 update easily on your Verizon S5, model no. SM-G900V, but read a bit more to know about its effects.
First up, if you install Verizon S5 OE1 update using Odin, you would not be able to root your device. So, don’t use Odin for updates if you want root. That’s because latest updates from Verizon — whether that be for S5 or Galaxy S6 Edge or Droid Turbo — patch up the root exploits and thus blocks root solution available at the moment. Thus leaving you stuck with unrootable device until new exploit is discovered and presented as root solution.
Nevertheless, if you plan to return back to stock, or unbrick your device, this is plenty helpful for you. Using Odin, and OE1 update in TAR format, you can save your device and fix bootloop and continuous-restart problem easily.
We’ve provided the direct download link of the OE1 firmware for your Verizon S5 below, which should be very helpful for such big downloads. If you face any trouble updating your S5 to OE1, do let us know via comments below.
How to update Verizon Galaxy S5 SM-G900V to OE1
- OE1 firmware — Direct Link | File: G900VVRU2BOE1_G900VVZW2BOE1_VZW.zip (1.64 GB)
- Odin PC software | File: Odin3_v3.10.6.zip (1.6 MB)
- VERIZON GALAXY S5, model no. SM-G900V
- Don’t try this on any other Samsung Galaxy S5 device than the model no. SM-G900V!
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever!
Disclamer: Installing an official firmware through Odin doesn’t void your device’s warranty, but it remains an unofficial process and thus you need to be cautious of it. In any case, you only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have backup of all your important files. Sometimes, Odin installation may delete everything on your device!
- Download the Odin software and firmware file from above.
- Install Galaxy S5 driver (method 1 there!) first of all. Double click the .exe file of drivers to begin installation. (Not required if you have already done this.)
- Extract the firmware file now. You can use a free software like 7-zip for this. Install 7-zip, then right click on firmware file and under 7-zip, select ‘Extract here’. You should get the a file in .tar.md5 format now. We will be loading this file into Odin, to be installed on your Verizon S5 (in step 10 below).
- Extract the Odin file. You should get this file, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe (other files could be hidden, hence not visible).
- Disconnect your Verizon S5 from PC if it is connected.
- Boot Verizon Galaxy S5 into download mode:
- Power off your S5. Wait 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Press and hold the three buttons Volume Down + Power + Home together until you see warning screen.
- Press Volume Up to continue to download mode.
- Double click on extracted file of Odin, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe, to open the Odin window, as shown below. Be careful with Odin, and do just as said to prevent problems.
- Connect your Verizon S5 to PC now using USB cable. Odin should recognize your device. It’s a must. When it recognizes, you will see Added!! message appearing in the Log box in bottom left, and the first box under ID:COM will also show a no. and turn its background blue. Look at the pic below.
- You cannot proceed until you get the Added!! message, which confirms that Odin has recognized your device.
- If you don’t get Added!! message, you need to install/re-install drivers again, and use the original cable that came with device. Mostly, drivers are the problem (look at step 2 above).
- You can try different USB ports on your PC too, btw.
- Load the firmware file into Odin. Click the AP button on Odin and the select the .tar.md5 file from Step 3 above.
- Make sure Re-partition checkbox is NOT selected, under the Options tab. Don’t use PIT tab either. Go back to Log tab btw, it will show the progress when you hit start button in next step.
- Click the Start button on Odin now to start flashing the firmware on your Verizon S5. Wait till installation is finished, after which your S5 will reboot automatically. You’ll get PASS message as show below upon successful installation from Odin.
- If Odin gets stuck at setup connection, then you need to do steps 5 to 11 again. For this, close Odin, disconnect your S5, remove battery, insert it back after 5-6 seconds and then start from step 5 again.
- Or, if you get FAIL in the top left box, you need to try flashing again, as stated just above.
- First start of the device may take time, so wait patiently again. Check the Settings > About phone to confirm new firmware.
That’s it. Enjoy the Verizon Galaxy S5 OE1 firmware!