Flash this Fix for Smoother HTC One X Sense Launcher
The HTC One X comes with HTC’s latest version of their Sense UI, Sense 4.0, that provides a beautiful depth effect to widgets on the homescreen. However, since the quad-core Tegra 3 CPU inside the phone never uses its full power when one is using the Sense 4.0 launcher — and also because that depth effect is quite resource heavy — the phone can lag or stutter sometimes while scrolling through the pages on the homescreen.
XDA Recognized Contributor hamdir has come up with a fix for the lag/stutter that removes the depth effect in the widgets, hence reducing the stutter while scrolling homescreen pages. He provides two fixes in fact, one that removes the depth effect on widgets on all but the first homescreen page, and another that disables it completely.
Important Note! The fix only works on the firmware/build versions 1.29.401.11 and 1.29.401.7, so please do not try it on any other firmware version. You can check the firmware version by going to the Settings » About phone menu on the phone, and checking the version under Build Number.
Let’s take a look at how the Sense launcher fix can be applied on your HTC One X.
This guide is applicable only for HTC One X. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Sense Launcher Fix on HTC One X
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on the phone. You can install ClockworkMod recovery by following the guide → here.
- Again, make sure you are either on build/firmware number 1.29.401.7 or 1.29.401.11 in Settings » About Phone. Do not try this on any other firmware.
- Download the fix from the official development page. There are two versions as noted above:
- Super Smooth Rosie: Download this version if you want to keep the depth effect on the first homescreen page. This will reduce stutter but not always.
- Ultra Smooth Rosie: Download this version if you want to remove the depth effect completely, for a completely smooth scrolling experience on the homescreen.
- Copy the downloaded .zip file to the SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone and boot into ClockworkMod recovery. For that, boot into the bootloader mode first by holding the Volume Down button and then pressing power key. Then, select Recovery from there using the volume buttons to navigate and power button to select.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the fix’s file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and enjoy a super smooth Sense launcher.
Going/Reverting Back to Default Launcher:
- Download the stock Sense launcher package from the official development page.
- Copy the downloaded .zip file to the SD card.
- Then follow steps 5 to 7 of the procedure above to install the stock launcher package to go back to the stock Sense launcher.
There you have it. The fix will provide you with a smooth, stutter and lag-free scrolling experience on your HTC One X. Let us know how it works for you, in the comments below.