In order to program a CDMA phone, the Master Subsidy Lock code (MSL number) is required, especially when trying to program a mobile telephone number. If you’ve been looking to find out the MSL number on your Sprint Galaxy S3 but haven’t been able to, there’s a manual method that can be used to do so.
Users who have an unrooted device can use the Get My MSL app on the Google Play Store, but for those who are rooted and cannot get the Get My MSL app to work can use the manual method below. Read on to find out how.
How to Find MSL Number on Sprint Galaxy S3
- First, install ClockworkMod recovery on your Sprint Galaxy S3 by using the guide → here.
- Download the file which needs to be flashed in recovery in order to obtain the MSL number.
Download Link | Filename: Sprint_MSL_Finder_v1.1.zip
- Turn off your phone. Then boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do that, press and hold the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together till the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will boot into recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to navigate up and down and the power button to select options.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Then scroll to the Sprint_MSL_Finder_v1.1.zip file and select it. Confirm installation on the next screen.
- After installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
- After the phone boots up, open the Play Store and download the Terminal Emulator app.
- Open Terminal Emulator on the phone from the list of installed applications.
- Type “su” (without the ” quotes) and press enter. Then press Allow/Grant on the pop up menu to grant root access to Terminal Emulator.
- Then, type ”getprop ril.MSL” and press Enter. This will show you your MSL number. Write it down and save it somewhere for future access.
You have now obtained the MSL number of your Sprint Galaxy S3 using the procedure above. Let us know if it works correctly, in the comments below.