The Samsung Epic 4G Touch is on a roll, as Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 firmware leaks seem to be coming out for it at a pace faster than we can keep track of them. Just a few days after we saw the release of the FC07 firmware, a newer one, FC14 is now out for it. XDA modder Calkulin has again released a pre-rooted version of the firmware that can be flashed from ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery.
The ROM comes in two versions, stock rooted and stock rooted deodexed. The deodexed version is useful for those who want to flash custom themes later, as most themes require a deodexed ROM. Both versions work the same otherwise. The stock rooted version will be fine for most.
Read on to find out how you can install FC14 Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 firmware on your Epic 4G Touch.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with Epic 4G Touch, model number SPH-D710. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable.
- Important! A rooted Epic 4G Touch with ClockworkMod recovery installed.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How to Install FC14 Firmware on Epic 4G Touch
- Download the ROM, either the normal or deodexed version, from the original development page.
- Download the FC14 modem file.
Download Link | Filename: E4GT_Modem_FC14.zip
- Also download the file Calkulin’s_FORMAT_ALL_for_E4GT.zip which will be used to wipe your partitions before installing the ROM.
- Copy the zip files downloaded in step 1, 2 and 3 to the root of your internal SD card.
- Turn off the phone then boot into ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery. In recovery, use the Volume buttons to scroll up and down and the Power button to select options.
- Select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the file Calkulin’s_FORMAT_ALL_for_E4GT.zip on the sdcard and select it. Select “Yes” on the next screen to confirm. This will format the required partitions on the phone (will NOT erase SD card contents).
- After format is complete, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Again select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard downloaded in step 1 and select it. The ROM will now start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Once again, select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the E4GT_Modem_FC14.zip file and select it to install the FC14 modem.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
The Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 based FC14 firmware is now installed on your Samsung Epic 4G Touch. Try it out, and let us know about your experience in the comments below.