FB17 Based Custom ROM for Epic 4G Touch [Android 4.0]
The Samsung Epic 4G Touch is the latest Samsung phone to get an unofficial Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 firmware leaked for it. Having gotten two leaked ICS firmware in quick succession, less than a week ago, the developer community has already sprung into action and started work on Custom ROMs based on the latest leaked firmwares.
XDA member maddoggin has released a new Beta custom ROM based on the FB17 leaked firmware yesterday. And as always, we are here with a step-by-step guide on how you can install this new ROM on your Epic Touch 4G. Do keep in mind that this is a WIP or work-in-progress ROM, and is likely to include all of the bugs that the base firmware FB17 came with.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!!
This firmware and the guide below is compatible only and only with Epic 4G Touch, model number SPH-D710. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in Settings » About phone.
-all the issues acompnied with fb17 still here for now
-uses rogue kernel and you cant wipe data to install so if your not on this rom already i suggest flashing the stock one first then install this.
-no bootanimation as of yet but its being worked on
-have to set ringtone and notification tone manually for some odd reason
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- If you have Samsung’s PC software Kies installed, un-install it first because it may interrupt the flashing process.
- Drivers! — it’s important you’ve the proper drivers installed. Download Link
How To Install FB17.ICS.ROM.by.MADDOGGIN.1.0 on Epic Touch 4G
- Install the FB17 ICS firmware on your Epic 4G Touch. You can refer to this handy guide to upgrade to FB17.
- Download the FB17.ICS Custom ROM from the official development page
- Transfer the downloaded ROM file to the root of SDcard on your phone
- Now scroll to the option “Install zip from sdcard” and select it. Then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file you transferred in step 2 “ ICS.FB17.ROMV1.0.zip” and select it. The ROM will now start installing.
- Now, perform a Selective wipe. First Select “wipe cache partition”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm cache wipe (will NOT wipe your SD card). Wait for wipe to complete. Then Select “advanced”, then select “Wipe Dalvik cache”, then select “Yes” to confirm. NOTE: Do NOT wipe data/factory reset.
- After the wipe process has been completed, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone
- You should now boot into the FB17.ICS Custom ROM powered by Ice cream Sandwich
You can visit the official development page linked above to check for updates & bug-fixes, and to download add-ons and tweaks to the ROM. Try it out, and tell us about your Ice Cream Sandwich experience in comments below.