This is what we love about the Android developer community. HTC’s much awaited Sense 4.0 UI is to launch on its forthcoming handsets, which are expected to be unveiled in the Mobile World Congress later this week. But thanks to a leaked firmware for the yet-to-be-released HTC Endeavor, a custom ROM based on Sense 4.0 has already made it’s way to the HTC EVO 3D CDMA.
Taste of Sense 4.0 is released by XDA developer TMartin, who has managed to port the Virtuous X ROM for the HTC Sensation , to the Evo 3D CDMA. It is based on Ice Cream Sandwich, sporting the awesome looking HTC Sense UI.
Keep in mind though, that this is an infant pre-Alpha build, and is still under heavy development. It’s definitely not ready for daily usage yet, as phone and data is still not functional. You can check out the What to Expect list below for more details. The ROM has been specifically released by TMartin for users to check out what Sense 4.0 feels like on your Evo 3D CDMA.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!!!
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the HTC Sensation. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
Developer → TMartin
What to expect:
- It Boots!!!!
- First boot takes a little while…especially after you first unlock to get to setup
- Android 4.0.3
- Sense 4.0
- Working sound
- SD Card works
- USB works for ADB
- Mount sd to PC isn’t working
- No Data, Voice, Bluetooth or WiFi…….yet
- It’s actually pretty quick
- Not much more than what’s listed above
- Rooted HTC EVO 3D CDMA with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Battery charged to minimum of 50%.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install Taste-of-Sense 4.0 on HTC EVO 3D CDMA
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development thread.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file from step 1 to the root of your external SD card on your phone.
- Turn off the phone and reboot into Clockworkmod Recovery
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again.
- Perform a full wipe as follows
- Select Mounts and Storage » Format System » Yes-Format System
- Select Format Data » Yes – Format Data
- Select Format Cache » Yes – Format Cache
- Go back to the main menu, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache » Yes – Wipe Dalvik .
- Now select “Install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard (from step 2) and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes – Install “TMartin_Endeavor3D_DevTest.zip” on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
- First Reboot may take longer than usual. This is normal, so be patient.
- Once your phone has rebooted, leave it alone for at least 10 minutes, so that the OS settles down. Do not touch anything.
- Ater 10-15 minutes, proceed to set up your device, and enjoy the Sense 4.0 experience
Visit the official development page linked above to download updates and add-ons, check out more detailed information and to submit bugs that you may come across. Go ahead and preview this Custom Rom, and tell us about the Sense 4.0 experience in comments below.