It was just a matter of time before this happened; yesterday, we posted an article about the official Cyanogenmod 9 or CM9 team working on a build for the Epic 4G, and now we present to you, a CM9 experimental build, for the Epic 4G Touch. The build is ported from the current CM9 build for the Galaxy S2, and is based on the latest AOSP sources, plus incorporates enhancements and tweaks, like only Cyanogenmod can. his has been released on XDA by Recognized developer sbrissen.
Keep in mind though, that Cyanogenmod 9, across the board, is under heavy development, and hence, one should expect bugs. But with the official Cyanogenmod team involved, I have no doubt in my mind, that we should be able to see a steady, stable, rock-solid ROM soon enough!!
Lets have a quick peek at some of the known issues, quoted from the development thread, before we move on to the installation guide. As you can see here, it may not be entirely suitable for daily usage, unless you can do without all of the work-in-progress features listed below, that is–
Known Issues with this build:
– Wifi will not turn on
– BT will not turn on
– Camera does not work
– Screen will flicker when rotating
– no mms
– usb (phone will charge and you have adb access but it will not mount)
– Signal bars are not accurate
– Stock browser will not work, use Opera or something else from the market
– Youtube = NoTube
– and I’m sure there are others I’m missing
The steps and methods included in this guide are considered risky. Please do not attempt to try this unless you know exactly what you are doing, as it may render your device unusable, and your pocket lighter by the amount it takes to replace it. You have been forewarned!!!
This rom and the guide below is compatible only with the Samsung Epic 4G Touch. Please do not attempt to flash it on an incompatible device, as it could cause damage to your device and brick it. Check your device model in: Settings » About device.
- CM9 Alpha 1 Filename: teamhacksung_epic4gtouch-ota-eng.ALPHA1.zip | Size: 101 MB
- Gapps Package Filename: gappsv7.1.zip | Size: 26.5 MB
- Rooted Epic 4G Touch with Clockworkmod Recovery
- Installing/Flashing this ROM will erase your apps and data. So, it’s a very important you back them up before proceeding further. To backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. this Android backup guide would help you (Titanium backup, although an extremely useful app if you are in the habit of trying out different Custom ROMs, will not be helpful here, as restoration of apps backed up by TiBu might not work with this build)
- Fully charged battery
- Boot into CWM recovery. Make a full Backup by going to Backup & Restore. You might need this backup later if you decide to go back to your previous ROM. It never hurts to do this, and is always recommended.
How To Install CM9 Alpha 1 on Samsung Epic 4G Touch
- Download the CM9 Alpha & Gapps zip files(links provided above) to your PC
- Transfer both the downloaded zip files to the root of your phone’s internal SD card (not to any folder, just paste it to sdcard)
- Power off the phone and boot into Recovery mode
- Now Select Wipe Data/Factory reset from the main menu, and on the next screen select Yes-wipe data
- Now scroll to Wipe Cache Partition and select it. On the next screen Select Yes-wipe cache.
- Now on the main menu, click Advanced,and then Select Wipe Dalvik cache. On the next screen, Select Yes-Wipe Dalvik
- Now that you have completed the full wipe, scroll to ‘Install zip from SD card‘
- Then Select Choose zip from sd card and navigate to the ‘teamhacksung_epic4gtouch-ota-eng.ALPHA1.zip’ file you transferred to the sd card in Step 2
- This will start flashing the ROM to your phone. Let the installation complete.
- Now Repeat Steps 7 & 8, but this time select the ‘gappsv7.1.zip‘ file you transferred to the phone in Step 2 above
- Once the ROM installation is complete, Select Go back, and then select Wipe Data/Factory Reset–> Yes-Wipe data (This step is critical if you want calendar Sync to work)
- Once the wipe is complete, select Go Back, and then Reboot System
- Enjoy CM9 Alpha Ice Cream Sandwich on your Epic 4G Touch!!
Note: Do not restore apps using Titanium backup, as it is likely to create issues. Fresh app installation is recommended, in this case.
You can visit the original development thread to check for updates to this version. You can also visit the discussion thread here to interact with other users of this build. And of course, if you want to share your experience with us, you can always let us know in comments below.