Here it is finally!!!! Ice cream Sandwich goodness for the Droid 3. Owners of the Droid 3 can now get a taste of Android 4.0 on their devices, thanks to XDA-developer Hashcode ( who incidentally is the same developer we have to thank for Safestrap, which has become an essential part of flashing ROMs on devices from the Droid family).
The ROM has been developed using the CM9/AOSP sources as well as some of the published Moto Source from the Droid 3 and RAZR, wherever required. Like most ICS AOSP ROMs that have been released over the past few weeks, this ROM is also an Alpha build right now , meaning it is still Work-in-Progress, and that there are still minor bugs and glitches, which the developer is working on. Not for usage as a daily ROM, you can nevertheless try it out, if you want to watch a trailer of what ICS is going to be like on your Droid 3s.
Most of the essentials seem to be working in this build, but then, “essential” could mean different things for different people :)
What is working in this build:
Fixed Data usage stats
Removed useless FM radio apps
SD Card change: internal = /sdcard, external = /sdcard-ext (just like Motorola setup)
Voice search fixed
Trebuchet as launcher (Nebkat rules)
Many hard keyboard issues resolved (including B key! Thanks to Tezet)
Bugfixes from Alpha #1
Embedded GApps (for now)
Larger default apns-conf.xml file for international use
Embedded WirelessTether app
phone is connected to the network
SD Cards (needs testing again)
HW Accelerated Graphics (RenderScript apps will have issues — like Web Browser)
What doesn’t work
Camera (in progress)
Some Codecs (in progress)
Known Issues & Workarounds as quoted from the developer’s thread:
KNOWN ISSUES (as of 2012-01-01 build):
• GSM users have reported phone still FCs quite a bit. I have a solution for this but it’s a work in progress and takes a long time to do (porting Motorola World Phone code to ICS from Gingerbread). I am sorry for the hassle, but usually a wipe cache/dalvik cache will reset your connection.
• Leaving Bluetooth on but not paired causes all audio to stop working on the phone. If you turn off Bluetooth then audio comes back.
• SD card mounting is being looked at, some apps aren’t referencing the external
• Mass storage sharing is broken and being worked on
• Camera doesn’t work
• Codecs which reference the /dev/ion driver don’t work (including audio only for Netflix)
• Keyboard slide out will unlock phone
• Mute button on calls doesn’t work
• Bluetooth in general needs an overhaul. It does work to make phone calls, but that’s about it.
• For GSM/WCDMA users who have lost 3G: enter *#*#4636#*#* into the dialer. Then goto “Phone Information”. Near the bottom of that screen there’s a drop down of network preference. For GSM-ONLY use GSM (PRL). Exit that screen and reboot the phone. Wipe cache/dalvik cache if you still don’t get 3G back or have many phone FCs.
• For a Gallery replacement use “QuickPic” from the market
• For a GTalk replacement use “Xabber” from the market
The methods and steps mentioned in this guide are considered risky, and We will not be responsible for any damage caused to you or your beloved device.
- A rooted Droid 3 with Custom recovery installed
- ICS / CM9 Alpha ROM for Droid 3
- Download the ROM file and transfer it to the root of your SD card.
- Reboot into recovery and perform a full backup of your existing ROM and data
- Perform a complete wipe ( Wipe data, cache partition & Dalvik Cache)
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM copied to your SD card in Step 1
- Once the ROM is selected, it will be flashed to the device
- Once installation is complete, reboot your device.
DON’T LET GOOGLE RESTORE YOUR SETTINGS WHEN INSTALLING THIS ROM COMING FROM GINGERBREAD
For more details, updates, and to read about what others are experiencing with this ROM, you can visit the developer’s thread here.
If you want to share your thoughts or experience with this ROM, do let us know in comments below.