More the merrier is what they say, and it applies specially to custom ROMs as there can never be too many custom ROMs for a device, specially when they bring the latest Android version to it. CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is out for the myTouch 4G thanks to XDA Senior Member 0.0, just a day after the first Jelly Bean ROM for the device came out.
NOTE: The ROM is in a very early stage of development and not suitable for daily use yet, so there are quite a few issues with a lot of thinks not working, so consider this only a preview of Jelly Bean. Also, CM10 is in an early stage so do not expect to see many customization options of CyanogenMod to be present in the ROM in the beginning.
Here’s a list of things working/not working quoted from the development page (where you can get the most updated list of issues):
-Camera!! yes, it works. however, here’s the problems with it: 1) 5MP leaves a green line on the side (just how when the first ICS working camera started out. hope that can be fixed down the road), 2) FFC does not work, i repeat, DOES NOT work. making it switch causes a force close and can only be stopped by clearing the data in the manage apps > gallery > clear data, and 3) video recording DOES NOT work at all. so for camera, only taking pics with the rear camera works. good for all you instagram users (including myself lol)
-CM stuff, like weather on lockscreen, a power menu that can reboot, go into recovery, etc. a lot of CM stuff is broken
-thats all i know for now. the rest is the basic stuff, like wifi, bluetooth, etc.
what doesnt work:
-LED lights do not work
-backlights do not work with auto brightness set. uncheck auto brightness so it will work
-i am not too sure myself, so if anyone wants to keep looking for stuff, please do and inform us so i can put it under here
Read on for the instructions on how to flash CM10 on your myTouch 4G.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the T-Mobile myTouch 4G/HTC Glacier. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Jelly Bean Android 4.1 on myTouch 4G
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your phone and that its bootloader is unlocked.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market/Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip
- Copy the two zip files downloaded in step 3 and 4 to the SD card on the phone (do not extract the files).
- Boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do so, turn off the phone. Then, press and hold the Volume Down and the Power buttons together to boot into the bootloader/HBOOT mode. Here, highlight the RECOVERY option by navigating to it using the volume buttons, then select it using the Power button to boot into recovery.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the power button to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select mounts and storage, then select format system, and confirm format on next screen. Then, go back to the main recovery menu.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into CM10. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes.
- Returning to Previous ROM: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
CM10 based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now installed and running on your myTouch 4G. Visit the official development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.