After Nexus devices, the first devices to get AOSP based Android 5.0 ROMs are Xperia devices. Only hours ago we covered the Android 5.0 ROM for Xperia Z1, and we now have another Sony device ready with an AOSP based Android 5.0 ROM.
Thanks to krabappel2548 over at XDA for beginning work on developing an Android 5.0 ROM for the Xperia Z1 as it might take time for the device to get Android 5.0 update officially. This AOSP based ROM is currently in very early stage, so much that almost everything isn’t working at this time.
The ROM is currently a work in progress, meaning you should not be installing this on your Xperia Z1 if you use your phone as a daily driver. At this time, the ROM only boots and let’s you experience Android 5.0. You could also make /receive calls, but that’s it. Things like Camera, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. aren’t working yet.
NOT WORKING (as of November 6, 2014):
- Mobile Data
- …and could be more
The ROM doesn’t come as a custom recovery flashable zip file, you’ll have to install the ROM via Fastboot Mode using fastboot flash commands.
Android 5.0 Lollipop redefines the whole design language on Android. Google introduced a new Material design language on Android 5.0, which uses flat, bold colors everywhere with style and butter-smooth animations. You also get many security benefits on Android 5.0 like encryption being On by default and Multi-user/Guest User support, screen pinning and many other new features.
Here are some screenshots of Android 5.0 running on Xperia Z1.
Without further ado, let’s hit the downloads section and installation instructions for installing Android 5.0 on your Xperia Z1.
Download all four files from this link (total 521 MB)
File names: boot.img, cache.img, system.img, userdata.img
Fastboot and ADB files (919 KB)
File name: adb_and_fastboot_files.zip
WARNING: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Important Note: Backup important files (music, photos, documents, videos, etc.) stored on your Xperia Z1 before proceeding with the steps below. Your device internal storage will be completely wiped so make sure you backup any/all of your important files on a PC.
- Make sure your device is a Sony Xperia Z1 (codename, Honami). Do NOT install the ROM on any other device.
- Unlock the Bootloader on your Xperia Z1Xperia Z1.
- Extract/Unzip the adb_and_fastboot_files.zip in a separate folder on your PC. You’ll get the following files:
- Now Copy/Paste the four .img files that you downloaded above to the folder where you extracted files in Step 3. All your files should be in one folder. The four files you need to copy are as follows:
- Boot your Xperia Z1 into Fastboot mode:
- Switch off your Xperia Z1 first
- Press and hold the Volume Up button
- Connect the device to your PC using a USB Cable while holding down the Volume Up button on your Xperia Z1
└ Before plugging in the USB cable on your Xperia Z1 make sure that the other end of USB cable is already connected to the PC.
- Your Xperia Z1 should be in Fastboot Mode now and the device’s LED light should turn into Blue
- Open the folder where all your extracted files are saved (refer Step 4) and then open a command window inside that folder. Press “Shift + Right click” inside the folder on any empty white space and select “Open command window here” from the context menu
- Now issue the following commands one by one to Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on your Xperia Z1. This might take time, so have patience.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img
- Once you’ve successfully flashed boot.img and system.img and also wiped the userdata. Then reboot your Xperia Z1 using the following command:
- Your Xperia Z1 will now reboot with Android 5.0 Lollipop installed. Be extremely excited for this!
That’s it. Android 5.0 should be rocking your Xperia Z1 now. However, you’ll not have any Google services on your device as AOSP ROMs don’t come with Google services installed. To get Google service on your device, you need to download and install Android 5.0 Gapps package from the link below: