It feels kind of weird to feel happy about Verizon Galaxy Note Edge users as they start receiving Android 5.0.1 update when Samsung’s been distributing Android 5.1 update elsewhere. But it’s still Lollipop update, and far incremental one from KitKat — so much that it naturally means a lot.
We hope Samsung and Verizon up team up nicely for the Android 5.1 update for their Note Edge, so that users aren’t made to wait till Android M starts rolling out for Galaxy S6 users. Anyway, the build no of Verizon Galaxy Note Edge Lollipop update is N915VVRU2BOF2, and it available for download and manual installation already if you don’t like waiting in gradual rollout line. Of course, your Note Edge’s model no. has to be SM-N915V for the following guide to be compatible with your device, take care of that.
How to update Verizon Galaxy Note Edge to Android 5.0 Lollipop firmware build N915VVRU2BOF2
- N915VVRU2BOF2 Update | File: N915VVRU2BOF2_N915VVZW2BOF2_VZW.zip (2.12 GB)
- Odin PC software | File: Odin3_v3.10.6.zip (1.6 MB)
- VERIZON SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE EDGE (model no. SM-N915V)
- Don’t try this on Note Edge internation variant, or other ones at Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, US Cellular, etc. whose model no. is not N915V!
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever!
Disclamer: Installing an official firmware through Odin doesn’t void your device’s warranty, but it remains an unofficial process and thus you need to be cautious of it. In any case, you only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have backup of all your important files. Sometimes, Odin installation may delete everything on your device!
- Download the Odin software and firmware file from above.
- Install Galaxy Note Edge drivers (method 1 there!) first of all. Double click the .exe file of drivers to begin installation. (Not required if you have already done this.)
- Extract the Lollipop firmware file of your Verizon Note Edge now. You can use a free software like 7-zip for this. Install 7-zip, then right click on firmware file and under 7-zip, select ‘Extract here’.
- You should get the a file in .tar.md5 format now (N915VVRU2BOF2_N915VVZW2BOF2_N915VVRU2BOF2_HOME.tar.md5). We will be loading this file into Odin, to be installed on your Note Edge (in step 10 below).
- Extract the Odin file. You should get this file, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe (other files could be hidden, hence not visible).
- Disconnect your Note Edge from PC if it is connected.
- Boot the Verizon Galaxy Note Edge into download mode:
- Power off your Note Edge. Wait 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Press and hold the three buttons Volume Down + Power + Home together until you see warning screen.
- Press Volume Up to continue to download mode.
- Double click on extracted file of Odin, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe, to open the Odin window, as shown below. Be careful with Odin, and do just as said to prevent problems.
- Connect your Note Edge to PC now using USB cable. Odin should recognize your Note Edge. It’s a must. When it recognizes, you will see Added!! message appearing in the Log box in bottom left, and the first box under ID:COM will also show a no. and turn its background blue. Look at the pic below.
- You cannot proceed until you get the Added!! message, which confirms that Odin has recognized your device.
- If you don’t get Added!! message, you need to install/re-install drivers again, and use the original cable that came with device. Mostly, drivers are the problem (look at step 2 above).
- You can try different USB ports on your PC too, btw.
- Load the firmware file into Odin (that you got in step 4 above). Click the AP button on Odin and the select the file: N915VVRU2BOF2_N915VVZW2BOF2_N915VVRU2BOF2_HOME.tar.md5
- Make sure Re-partition checkbox is NOT selected, under the Options tab. Don’t use PIT tab either. Go back to Log tab btw, it will show the progress when you hit start button in next step.
- Click the Start button on Odin now to start flashing the firmware on your Verizon Note Edge. Wait till installation is finished, after which your Note Edge will reboot automatically. You’ll get PASS message as show below upon successful installation from Odin.
- If Odin gets stuck at setup connection, then you need to do steps 7 to 12 again. For this, close Odin, disconnect your device, remove battery, insert it back after 5-6 seconds and then start from step 7 again.
- Or, if you get FAIL in the top left box, you need to try flashing again, as stated just above.
- First start of the device may take time, so wait patiently again. Check the Settings > About phone to confirm new firmware.
That’s it. Enjoy the N915VVRU2BOF2 Android 5.0.1 firmware, or call it OF2 in short, on your Verizon Galaxy Note Edge!
If you need any help with this, let us know via comments below and we will try our best to help you out.