Motorola has begun rolling out the Android 5.1 update for its 1st Gen Moto X over at US Cellular, and has already packed the Stagefright bug fix into the update. The biggie inside the OTA is Android 5.1 update, while new features are being touted too.
Battery life og your US Cellular Moto X should get a boost after the update, while there also new features in notification controls. Stagefright bug apart, there are other on-device security improvements added too.
The OTA update size varies from 200 to 400 MB depending on what build no. you currently have on your device. The download below is of 700 MB though, which you can use for manual installation.
But the good thing is, we have already got our hands on the Android 5.1 OTA update for your US Cellular Moto X 1st Gen, which you can use to install 5.1 update manually on your device with model no. XT1055. Here’s how you do it.
How to install Android 5.1 Update manually
- 5.1 update — Link | File: Blur_Version.161.44.27.ghost_usc.USC.en.US.zip (700.6 MB)
- US CELLULAR MOTO X, 1st Gen, 2013 edition, model no. XT1055
- Don’t try on any other Android device with a different model no.
Tip: Check the model no. in Settings > About phone. Or, you could also find the model no. on the packaging box of the device.
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup necessary stuff. In case your device is wiped off while following the guide below, it’s good to have a backup of contacts, photos, videos and other files already saved on PC.
- Download the official Moto X Android 5.1 OTA update from above.
- Connect your Moto X to PC using a USB cable.
- Now transfer the OTA update to phone’s storage. Remember the location of it.
- Boot your Moto X to recovery mode. (Make sure you have stock recovery, ant not a TWRP/CWM recovery.)
- Disconnect the phone from PC, and then Power off it.
- Press and hold both volume buttons with power button until you see anything on screen. This is bootloader mode.
- Now, use only volume down to move the selection to Recovery and then use volume up to select it and reboot into recovery mode.
- Wait, you’re not there yet. You’ll see a dead Android with exclamation mark. Just press and hold both volume buttons for around 5 seconds and while holding them, press power button once. You will see stock recovery and its options.
- In stock recovery, choose ‘install update from sdcard’.
- Now, select the OTA update file using volume buttons for navigation and power button to select a file or enter a folder. Once you select file, confirm its install and the update will start installing on your device.
- When done, you will be back to main screen of recovery. Select ‘reboot system now’ to restart your device and welcome the official Android 5.1 update from Motorola.
Need help? Let us know in comments section below.