Update 7.014.14 Android 3.2.1 for Iconia A500
If you haven’t updated your Iconia A500 in a while, you might want to do so, as you might want to be running the latest version of Honeycomb, before finally moving on the Android 4.0 or Ice Cream Sandwich.
XDA member gersma has posted an updated build of Honeycomb 3.2.1 from Acer’s latest stock update dated Jan 5th. He has released 2 versions, a fully stock version( which you would need to root separately) and a pre-rooted and busyboxed version, if you prefer a one shot method. Both versions are flashable through ClockworkMod recovery or CWM.
Pre rooted/busyboxed version :
– Rooted & Busyboxed Rom
Warning: The steps and methods included in this guide are considered risky. Please do not attempt to try this unless you know exactly what you are doing, as it may render your device unusable, and your pocket lighter by the amount it takes to replace it. You have been forewarned!!
- Rooted Acer Iconia A500, with ClockworkMod Recovery unstalled
- All data backed up
- Battery charge of at least 50%
- Download the rom file/s and transfer the file/s to the root of the external SD card. You’ll need to select them for flashing in steps 5 and 6.
- Power off your device and boot into recovery mode (Hold Volume Down & Power button together, and release both when you see text at the top of the screen)
- Perform a full backup of your existing ROM as a precautionary measure using backup and restore option in recovery
- Perform a full wipe in recovery
- Wipe data / factory reset –> Confirm Wipe data/Factory reset on the next screen
- Wipe Cache Partition –> Confirm Wipe cache partition on the next screen
- From the main menu, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache–>Confirm Wipe Dalvik on the next screen
- Select Install zip from SD card » Choose zip from SD card » then browse and select the zip file you copied to your sd card in Step 1. The Rom will get flashed on your Iconia A500 and after it’s done, you’ll be back at recovery.
- The following step (Step #6) is applicable only if you flashed the Stock Rom in Step 5 and want to flash the rooting file now. If you’ve flashed the Rooted and Busyboxed version, just Reboot the device and you are done.
- Now, repeat Step 5, but select the root file this time which will provide root access on your A500 tablet. You’ll back in recovery again after flashing has been done.
Flashing part is now over. Go back to the main menu in Recovery and select Reboot system now, to reboot and say hello to the latest updated version of Honeycomb on your tablet.
If you want to read about the experience that others have had with this ROM, you can visit the original thread here.
If you have any thoughts, we’d love to hear about it in comments below