Here we are, there’s a new official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update that has leaked for the T-Mobile Galaxy S3, which updates the phone to the UVDLI8 firmware version, and we have a guide ready to help you install the latest leaked Android 4.1 update.
“Owners of the international Galaxy S3 can try out the leaked Jelly Bean firmware → here. Bell Galaxy S3 (i747M) owners can try out the leaked Jelly Bean update → here. Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Jelly Bean leak can be found → here, while Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 leak can be found → here.”
However, considering this is a leaked pre-release update and is not being officially rolled out by T-Mobile/Samsung, it may have issues and some things might not work properly. It might not be stable enough for every day use, so if you aren’t comfortable with trying leaked pre-release firmware, you should wait for the official update. You will need a microSD card inserted in the phone to be able to install the update.
Now, let’s take a look at how the UVDLI8 leaked official Jelly Bean OTA update can be installed on the T-Mobile Galaxy S3. Be sure to read the instructions carefully.
This guide below is compatible only and only with the T-Mobile Galaxy S3. It’s not compatible with any other Galaxy S3, it only works for T-Mobile variant. Check your device’s model in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Jelly Bean Android 4.1 OTA on T-Mobile Galaxy S3
- This method might need you to wipe data, so backup all your apps, data and settings. Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you. Also make a backup of the files on your internal storage. External storage (microSD) will not be affected in any way.
- [Important] Flash the stock UVALH2 firmware on your phone by following the guide → here. The update will fail to flash on any other firmware or on custom ROMs. Keep in mind that this may require you to wipe data on your phone, so be sure to make a backup (see step 1).
- Download the Jelly Bean OTA update file.
Download OTA | Alternate Link | Filename: SGH-T999_T999UVDLI8-OTA-T999UVALI5_TMB_339817771.zip
- Copy the SGH-T999_T999UVDLI8-OTA-T999UVALI5_TMB_339817771.zip file to the external storage i.e the microSD card on your phone.
- Turn off the phone. Then, boot into stock recovery. To do so, hold down Volume Up, Home and then the Power buttons together until the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will boot into recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the home button to select an option.
- Select apply update from external storage, then scroll to and select the SGH-T999_T999UVDLI8-OTA-T999UVALI5_TMB_339817771.zip file to start installation of the Jelly Bean OTA update.
- After installation is complete, the phone should reboot automatically. If it does not reboot, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to boot up into the newly installed Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean.
NOTE: To go back to ICS Android 4.0, you can flash the UVALH2 firmware by following the guide linked in step 2 above.
The latest leaked official Jelly Bean firmware is now up and running on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3. Use it, go through what’s new and what’s changed, and do let us know what you think!
Do try out some custom Jelly Bean ROMs for the T-Mobile Galaxy S3 → here.