It was only few days ago, LG released the Android 5.1.1 OTA update for its Sprint G Flex 2 users. If you didn’t get the update on your device yet, well, today we have got the OTA available for download, so that you can install it manually. The OTA file, update.zip is 550MB in size. Credit for the OTA update goes to lyphe, thanks!
LG is really playing great with software updates at the moment. The company has beaten Samsung, LG, Sony, HTC, etc competitor OEMs to Android 5.1.1 update, which is available only for the Google powered Nexus device, and one certain Moto X from Motorola. This is really good from LG, and it’s brought the G Flex 2 to spotlight too, only for the time being though.
We’re a bit surprised that LG didn’t throw the update to G4 users first — yeah, maybe G Flex 2 needed some remembering! — but we hope LG’s woeful software bugs get a proper wash this time around. No matter how powerful LG device have been, software has always been the phone’s major drawback.
How to Install Android 5.1.1 OTA Update on Sprint LG G Flex 2
- SPRINT LG G FLEX 2, model no. LS996
- Don’t try on any other variant of G Flex 2 with different model no.
- Don’t try on any other Android device.
Tip: Check the model no. in Settings > About phone. Or, you could also find the model no. on the packaging box of the device.
- G Flex 2 5.1 OTA | File: update.zip (550 MB)
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup important files (music, photos, documents, videos, etc.) stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below.
- Download the OTA update.zip file on PC.
- Connect G Flex 2 to PC and transfer the update.zip to phone. Paste the file on the very root/parent folder of the internal storage where you have folders like DCIM, Android, Music, etc. That is to say, don’t transfer it to any folder or sub-folder on internal storage.
- Disconnect the phone. Make sure battery is more than 30% charged because we will update the phone with OTA now.
- Reboot the phone into bootloader mode. For this:
- Power off the phone.
- Press and hold Power+Volume down until you see anything on screen.
- Now, select the apply update from sdcard option. (Use volume keys to move the highlight and power button to select the option highlighted.)
- Move to put OTA file, update.zip, and select it. The update will start. When finished, restart using the reboot option.
That’s it. Upon restart, your Sprint LG G Flex 2 will be donning the Android 5.1.1 OTA update.
If you need any help with this, ask us out in comments below.