Samsung released the Android 5.0.1 Lollipop update for Sprint Galaxy S4 back in May as an OTA, but now the full firmware in TAR format is available for download that you can install yourself to manually update the device, no matter what you have currently installed on your device. Build no. is exactly same, L720VPUGOD2 .
You could not take the OTA if you were rooted, or didn’t have a stock recovery, but with this stock firmware, you only need to follow the guide below and update your Sprint Galaxy S4 (SPH-L720) to Android 5.0 Lollipop right away. That is why we love the stock firmware that is Odin flashable!
Do note that you will lose root access when you install the stock firmware using Odin, because it will re-write everything on your device. Custom recovery and custom ROM will be uninstalled too, and you will be back to stock on your Sprint Galaxy S4. We know that is what you want when you are looking for .TAR stock firmware, but it’s still to warn beforehand. You must be able to get both root access and TWRP/CWM recovery back, though, by installing them again.
Btw, do not that this is not compatible with Sprint Galaxy S4 Tri-band edition, for which, the Lollipop update is available here.
Sprint Galaxy S4 Android 5.0 Lollipop Update L720VPUGOD2
- L720VPUCOD2 Lollipop Update (direct link) | File host links | File: SPR-L720VPUGOD2-20150612101411.zip (1.45 GB)
- Odin PC software | File: Odin3_v3.10.6.zip (1.6 MB)
- SPRINT GALAXY S4 (model no. SPH-L720)
- Don’t try this on Sprint’s other Galaxy S4 Tri-band. whose model no. is SPH-L720T
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever.
Disclamer: Installing an official firmware through Odin doesn’t void your device’s warranty, but it remains an unofficial process and thus you need to be cautious of it. In any case, you only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have backup of all your important files. Sometimes, Odin installation may delete everything on your device!
- Download Odin and firmware file from above.
- Install Galaxy S4 drivers (method 1 there!) first of all. Double click the .exe file of drivers to begin installation. (Not required if you have already done this.)
- Extract the firmware file now. You can use a free software like 7-zip for this. Install 7-zip, then right click on firmware file and under 7-zip, select ‘Extract here’.
- You should get the a file in .tar.md5 format now (L720VPUGOD2_L720SPTGOD2_L720VPUGOD2_HOME.tar.md5). We will be loading this file into Odin, to be installed on your Galaxy S4 (in step 10 below).
- Extract the Odin file. You should get this file, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe (other files could be hidden, hence not visible).
- Disconnect your Galaxy S4 from PC if it is connected.
- Boot Sprint Galaxy S4 into download mode:
- Power off your S4. Wait 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Press and hold the three buttons Volume Down + Power + Home together until you see warning screen.
- Press Volume Up to continue to download mode.
- Double click on extracted file of Odin, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe, to open the Odin window, as shown below. Be careful with Odin, and do just as said to prevent problems.
- Connect your Galaxy S4 to PC now using USB cable. Odin should recognize your S4 . It’s a must. When it recognizes, you will see Added!! message appearing in the Log box in bottom left, and the first box under ID:COM will also show a no. and turn its background blue. Look at the pic below.
- Load the firmware file into Odin (that you got in step 4 above). Click the AP button on Odin and the select the file: L720VPUGOD2_L720SPTGOD2_L720VPUGOD2_HOME.tar.md5
- Make sure Re-partition checkbox is NOT selected, under the Options tab. Don’t use PIT tab either. Go back to Log tab btw, it will show the progress when you hit start button in next step.
- Click the Start button on Odin now to start flashing the firmware on your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 . Wait till installation is finished, after which your Galaxy S4 will reboot automatically. You’ll get PASS message as show below upon successful installation from Odin.
- If Odin gets stuck at setup connection, then you need to do steps 6 to 12 again. For this, close Odin, disconnect your S4 , remove battery, insert it back after 5-6 seconds and then start from step 6 again.
- Or, if you get FAIL in the top left box, you need to try flashing again, as stated just above.
- First start of the device may take time, so wait patiently again. Check the Settings > About phone to confirm new firmware.
That’s it enjoy the L720VPUGOD2 Lollipop firmware on your Sprint Galaxy S4!
If you need any help with this, let us know via comments below.