The Jelly Bean Android 4.1 based CM10 ROM for the Samsung Vibrant was initially released in mid-July, and it has since come a long way in its development and is now in the nightlies stage. Nightlies are builds the are released almost every day including the latest changes and hence are great for staying on top of all the latest improvements in the ROM.
CM10 also brings you all the features of Jelly Bean such as the smooth interface, the improved and actionable notifications, advanced voice recognition and information with Google Now, smarter keyboard, and more along with CyanogenMod’s customization options and performance.
It is to be noted that this is not an official ROM by Samsung and is currently under development, so some bugs/issues are to be expected and some Samsung specific features won’t be present in the ROM.
Warning! You won’t be able to make emergency calls to 911 or any other emergency number if you use this ROM. So make sure you are okay with that before using the ROM as a daily driver. This is a limitation on AOSP ROMs like CyanogenMod on the Samsung Vibrant.
Read on to find out how you can install CM10 nightly on your Samsung Vibrant.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Vibrant, model number T959. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 Nightly on Samsung Vibrant
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed on your phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the internal SD card. Do not extract them.
- Turn off the phone. Boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, hold down the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons together till the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will enter recovery soon enough.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete. This will only delete installed apps and settings, but leave all personal files intact.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- The phone will reboot into recovery in the middle of installation and then continue installing the ROM. However, if it simply reboots but doesn’t continue installation, repeat step 8.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation of the Google apps package is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot into CM10. First boot will take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
Updating to Newer Nightly ROM Updates
Since the ROM will be updated on a daily basis, in order to update to a newer version, simply download it from the development page, put it on your SD card, boot to recovery, install the ROM without wiping data, then reboot the phone. You don’t need to re-install the Google apps package when updating either.
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Samsung Vibrant. Visit the development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.