Here’s the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Android 5.1 update that you can install on your device by yourself. Just make sure that the model no. of your Galaxy S6 Edge set is SM-G925F. The full changelog of the update is not available as of now, but it should be out soon — we will be updating this page when it’s available.
Important Note: Once you install the update, there is no going back to earlier version. Meaning, you cannot install the Android 5.0 firmware back. Further, root access is not available on Samsung’s Android 5.1 update yet, even the T-Mobile Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge are yet to be rooted on Android 5.1. So if you need root, don’t flash this update using Odin just yet.
How to Install Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Android 5.1 Update
- G925FXXU2BOFJ Update (direct link) | File host mirror | File: XEU-G925FXXU2BOFJ-20150622181219.zip (1.57 GB)
- Odin PC software | File: Odin3_v3.10.6.zip (1.6 MB)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S6 EDGE (model no. SM-G925F)
- Don’t try this on Galaxy S6 variants at Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, international, etc. whose model no. is not G925F!
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever!
Disclamer: Installing an official firmware through Odin doesn’t void your device’s warranty, but it remains an unofficial process and thus you need to be cautious of it. In any case, you only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have backup of all your important files. Sometimes, Odin installation may delete everything on your device!
- Download the Odin software and firmware file from above.
- Install Galaxy S6 Edge drivers (method 1 there!) first of all. Double click the .exe file of drivers to begin installation. (Not required if you have already done this.)
- Extract the firmware file now. You can use a free software like 7-zip for this. Install 7-zip, then right click on firmware file and under 7-zip, select ‘Extract here’.
- You should get the a file in .tar.md5 format now (G925FXXU2BOFJ_G925FOXA2BOFJ_G925FXXU2BOFJ_HOME.tar.md5). We will be loading this file into Odin, to be installed on your Galaxy S6 Edge (in step 10 below).
- Extract the Odin file. You should get this file, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe (other files could be hidden, hence not visible).
- Disconnect your S6 Edge from PC if it is connected.
- Boot Galaxy S6 Edge into download mode:
- Power off your S6. Wait 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Press and hold the three buttons Volume Down + Power + Home together until you see warning screen.
- Press Volume Up to continue to download mode.
- Double click on extracted file of Odin, Odin3 v3.10.6.exe, to open the Odin window, as shown below. Be careful with Odin, and do just as said to prevent problems.
- Connect your Galaxy S6 Edge to PC now using USB cable. Odin should recognize your S6 Edge. It’s a must. When it recognizes, you will see Added!! message appearing in the Log box in bottom left, and the first box under ID:COM will also show a no. and turn its background blue. Look at the pic below.
- You cannot proceed until you get the Added!! message, which confirms that Odin has recognized your device.
- If you don’t get Added!! message, you need to install/re-install drivers again, and use the original cable that came with device. Mostly, drivers are the problem (look at step 2 above).
- You can try different USB ports on your PC too, btw.
- Load the firmware file into Odin (that you got in step 4 above). Click the AP button on Odin and the select the file: G925FXXU2BOFJ_G925FOXA2BOFJ_G925FXXU2BOFJ_HOME.tar.md5
- Make sure Re-partition checkbox is NOT selected, under the Options tab. Don’t use PIT tab either. Go back to Log tab btw, it will show the progress when you hit start button in next step.
- Click the Start button on Odin now to start flashing the firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. Wait till installation is finished, after which your S6 Edge will reboot automatically. You’ll get PASS message as show below upon successful installation from Odin.
- If Odin gets stuck at setup connection, then you need to do steps 6 to 12 again. For this, close Odin, disconnect your S6 Edge, remove battery, insert it back after 5-6 seconds and then start from step 6 again.
- Or, if you get FAIL in the top left box, you need to try flashing again, as stated just above.
- First start of the device may take time, so wait patiently again. Check the Settings > About phone to confirm new firmware.
That’s it. Enjoy the G925FXXU2BOFJ Android 5.1.1 firmware, OF6 in short, on your Galaxy S6 Edge!
If you need any help with this, let us know via comments below and we will try our best to help you out.