After a delay of more than 6-7 weeks, OnePlus has finally announced the Oxygen OS for its One phone. The new OS focuses primarily on “faster, more meaningful updates and a better-integrated range of services for every OnePlus user”.
Oxygen OS is based on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop, and thankfully, it is completely stock as far as the visuals go. But OnePlus has added in some cool customization features like ability to organize the toggles under quick settings on Lollipop. And several original OnePlus features have also made it to the Oxygen OS including “screen-off gestures like double-tap to wake, music controls, and shortcuts for the camera and flashlight”.
OnePlus says the Oxygen OS is very lightweight and is only beginning of a greater platform that the company will build upon with the help of its users. If you happen to own a OnePlus One device, grab the Oxygen OS .zip file from the download link below and flash it using a custom recovery. Yeah, this is all official and OnePlus is telling you to install a custom recovery (TWRP preferably) to install the Oxygen OS. Kinda crazy but no worries OnePlus. We love craziness!!
icon-download Download Oxygen OS (705 MB)
OXYGEN OS INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Warning: You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Important Note: Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have backup of all your important files.
- Transfer the oxygenos_1.0.0.zip file to your device’s internal storage and remember the location where you save it.
- You need TWRP recovery for this. Get it from here. There’s good instructions set there, too. For more help, Google is your friend.
- Boot into Recovery mode.
- Once in TWRP recovery, take a backup of your current ROM. Select Backup, then do a “Swipe to Back Up” on the bottom of the screen.
- Once the backup is finished, do this: tap on Wipe, then Advanced wipe, and then select Cache, Dalvik cache and Data. Then do the “Swipe to wipe” at bottom to ready the device for ROM flashing by erasing the cache, dalvik cache and data in one shot.
- Go back to the main menu of TWRP recovery and select Install.
- Navigate to the location where you saved the Oxygen OS oxygenos_1.0.0.zip file, select it and “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of the screen. Now wait until the flashing process finishes.
- Go to back to recovery’s Main menu, select Reboot » select System.
Oxygen OS will now boot on your OnePlus One. Be extremely excited for this!
If you find any issues/bugs with the Oxygen OS, be sure to report them to OnePlus. The company has even launched a Feedback app to help users report stuff quickly and directly to the team of developers building the Oxygen OS.
OXYGEN OS FEATURES VIDEO