The official CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) nightlies are now available for the ASUS Transformer Pad 300, bringing Jelly Bean Android 4.1 to it – including its smooth as butter interface and other notable improvements – with CyanogenMod’s performance and customization features. Nightlies are ROM builds that are build (almost) every night (hence the name) incorporating the latest changes made in the code during development, letting you stay on the bleeding edge updates.
It is to be noted that this is a custom ROM and not an official ASUS ROM, and while it is stable for every day use, some bugs may be present in the ROM, and some things might not work they same way they do on stock.
Continue reading to know how the official CM10 nightlies ROM can be installed on the Transformer Pad 300 TF300T.
This guide is applicable only for Asus Transformer TF300T. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Official CM10 Nightly ROM on ASUS Transformer TF300T
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work.
- Make sure the bootloader on your TF300T is unlocked. Go to the Asus Support Page → here, select Android in the OS drop down menu, then select Utilities, then download the Unlock Device App and use it to unlock the bootloader. This will void your warranty, so make sure you are comfortable with that and be sure to take a backup (see step 1).
- Install ClockworkMod recovery using the guide → here. You need to have ClockworkMod recovery to install the ROM.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the internal SD card. Do not extract them.
- Shut down the tablet. Then boot into CWM recovery. To do that, press and hold Volume Down + Power, until a message appears on-screen saying “Press Vol. Up to enter RCK (5s)”. Here, in less than 5 seconds, press the Volume Up button to enter CWM recovery.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to navigate/scroll and the power button to select.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete (this will not erase your personal files).
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot up into CM10. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes.NOTE: Returning to Previous ROM if needed: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Updating to Newer Nightly ROM Updates
- Since the ROM will be updated on a regular basis due to being in the nightly stage, in order to update to a newer version, simply download it from the development page, put it on your SD card, boot to recovery, install the ROM without wiping data, then reboot the phone. You don’t need to re-install the Google apps package or wipe data when updating. Just install the new version of the ROM and you’re good to go.
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Asus Transformer TF300T. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.
Also take a look at AOKP ROM for the Transformer TF300T → here.