Google Now, the personalized Google Search app found on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 which displays information cards to the user relevant to their usage patterns, has got a new update which adds support for information cards for movie showtimes, giving public alerts such as warnings of storms, earthquakes, etc, as well as the ability to add your favourite teams and keep track of them via the Sports cards.
The new Google Now’s APK file has been uploaded online for manually installing, so if you’re running an Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM on your phone, you can download it and install it on your device to make use of the newer features of Google Now.
Continue reading for the instructions on how the Google Now update can be installed on your device.
How to Install Google Search/Now Update
- Make sure your phone is running a Jelly Bean Android 4.1 ROM or the update will fail to install. You can find some custom Jelly Bean ROMs → here.
- Download the Google Now APK file.
Download Link | Alternate Link
- Copy the .apk file downloaded in step 2 to your device.
- Enable “Unknown sources” under the Settings » Security menu on the device, so that you can install apps from the SD card.
- You’ll need a file manager to browse through SD Card. You can install OI file manager or ES File Explorer or any other file manager app from the Play Store if needed.
- Open file manager and navigate to where you transferred the APK file in Step 3. Tap on the file to begin installation procedure and it will be installed in less than a minute.
- After the installation is complete, you can try out the updated Google Now by opening the Search app on the device.
The Google Now update has been installed on your Android 4.1 running device. Do let us know how it works!