Update (July 8, 2015): Even today, you cannot root Android 5.1 update on Droid Turbo. Though, at least, there are pre-rooted 5.1 system images available that support Mofo root, and you can install this over your Mofo rooted KitKat running Droid Turbo to upgrade to 5.1 with root access retained. So, if you want root access, don’t install the 5.1 OTA given below, rather, install pre-rooted 5.1 system image available here.
Verizon skipped the Android 5.0 update for Motorola Droid Turbo, but has been quick enough to release the Android 5.1 update directly. Beginning today, Droid Turbo users have started getting Android 5.1 OTA update notifications, and for those of you who are out of luck, we have got the full OTA available for download below, that you install over the KitKat to update to Android 5.1.
Be sure to have stock recovery installed on your device. Or better, go back to stock fully, to KitKat firmware, so that OTA easily works for you. If you are rooted, or have a TWRP/CWM recovery installed, then this will break OTA – you won’t be able to install Verizon Droid Turbo Android 5.1 update until you are back on stock system with stock recovery. See step 1 of the guide below for help with this. If you never rooted your phone, nor installed a custom recovery like TWRP and CWM, you have nothing to worry. Just go ahead and follow the guide below to get Droid Turbo Android 5.1 update.
How to Install Verizon DROID Turbo Android 5.1 OTA update (XT1254)
- OTA Update: Direct Link | File: Blur_Version.21.44.12.quark_verizon.verizon.en.US.zip (770.96 MB)
- VERIZON MOTOROLA DROID TURBO, model no. XT1254
- Don’t try this one Motorola Moto Maxx sets (model no. XT1220 or XT1255)!
- Don’t try on any other Android device with a different model no.
Tip: Check the model no. in Settings > About phone. Or, you could also find the model no. on the packaging box of the device.
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup your Android. In case your device is wiped off while following the guide below, it’s good to have a backup of contacts, photos, videos and other files already saved on PC.
- Make sure you have stock recovery and stock system for this, otherwise, it won’t work. For help with this, install KitKat stock system and recovery from here.
- Download the official Verizon Droid Turbo Android 5.1 OTA update from above.
- Connect your Droid Turbo to PC using a USB cable.
- Now transfer the OTA update to phone’s storage. Remember the location of it.
- Disconnect the phone now.
- Reboot your Droid Turbo to recovery mode. Do this:
- Power off your Droid Turbo.
- Press and hold Volume down + Power together until you see anything on screen. Now, this is bootloader mode.
- Use only Volume down button, to move the selection to Recovery — don’t use volume up yet. When selection has moved to Recovery, use Volume up to select it and reboot into recovery mode.
- Wait, you’re not there yet. You’ll see a dead Android with an exclamation mark. Press and hold the power button, and then press Volume up button once to get to stock recovery, called 3e recovery. That’s it, now you are in recovery mode.
- In stock recovery, choose ‘install update from sdcard’.
- Now, select the Android 5.1 OTA update file (Blur_Version.21.44.12.quark_verizon.verizon.en.US.zip). Use volume buttons for navigation, and power button to select a file or enter a folder. Once you select the OTA file, confirm its installation and the update will start installing on your device.
- When done, you will be back to main screen of recovery. Select ‘reboot system now’ to restart your device and welcome the official Android 5.1 update from Motorola.
That’s it. You have successfully installed the Verizon Droid Turbo Android 5.1 OTA update!
Btw, we also have a full guide on how to update Verizon Moto X 2nd Gen to Android 5.1. If you or your friend needs it, be sure to have a look.
Need any help? Give us a shout in comments below.