Motorola has been quick with Android 5.1 updates, and only few days after we saw the Moto X 2014 Android 5.1 update, we now have the OTA for Moto X 2013, too, model no. XT1052. You can safely download the OTA update and install it manually on your Moto X 1st Gen if waiting for Motorola to push the same updates isn’t exactly to your liking.
Note that you would need to be on stock recovery for this, as custom recovery would break the OTA installation. The Moto X Android 5.1 update process is real simple, and you cna easily do it by following the guide given below.
This Moto X Android 5.1 OTA is from a UK Moto X, meaning you should be able to flash it on variety of Moto X variants, but excluding the variants at Verizon, Sprint, Verizon, etc. You only need to make sure that you must be on 212.44.26 firmware already, as this is the base for the 5.1 update for which it would look before beginning the update process. If it doesn’t find your current software to be 212.44.26, the OTA update could fail.
How to Install Moto X Android 5.1 OTA update
- Moto X Android 5.1 OTA update | File: Blur_Version.212.44.26.ghost_row.Retail.en.GB.zip (669.18 MB)
- Motorola MOTO X, 1st Gen, 2013 edition, model no. XT1052
- Don’t try this on Moto X sets at verizon, Sprint, etc. whose model no. is not XT1052!
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever!
Tip: Check the model no. in Settings > About phone. Or, you could also find the model no. on the packaging box of the device.
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup necessary stuff. In case your device is wiped off while following the guide below, it’s good to have a backup of contacts, photos, videos and other files already saved on PC.
- Download the official 1st Gen Moto X Android 5.1 OTA update from above.
- Connect your Moto X to PC using a USB cable.
- Now transfer the OTA update to phone’s storage. Remember the location of it.
- Reboot your Moto X to recovery mode. For this:
- Disconnect the phone from PC, and then Power off it.
- Press and hold both volume buttons with power button until you see anything on screen. This is bootloader mode.
- Now, use only volume down to move the selection to Recovery and then use volume up to select it and reboot into recovery mode.
- Wait, you’re not there yet. You’ll see a dead Android with exclamation mark. Just press and hold both volume buttons for around 5 seconds and while holding them, press power button once. You will see stock recovery and its options. You must see 3e recovery written at the top.
- In stock recovery, choose ‘install update from sdcard’.
- Now, select the OTA update file using volume buttons for navigation and power button to select a file or enter a folder. Once you select file, confirm its install and the update will start installing on your device.
- When done, you will be back to main screen of recovery. Select ‘reboot system now’ to restart your device and welcome the official Android 5.1 update from Motorola.
Need any help? Give us a shout in comments below.