JRO03L Based ROM for Galaxy Nexus, Gets You Latest Android OS Version 4.1.1 [Jelly Bean]
XDA Developer udK has released a Jelly Bean ROM based on the latest official JRO03L Android 4.1.1 build from Google, and has made it even better by adding a custom Linaro-optimized kernel, which provides faster and smoother performance thanks to a few under the hood tweaks. All else remains as it is on stock Android 4.1, apart from a few changes like a different homescreen launcher, added Google apps like Earth, etc.
Continue reading to find out how you can install the JRO03L Jelly Bean Android 4.1.1 ROM on the Galaxy Nexus.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the international GSM Galaxy Nexus, model number i9250. It’s not compatible with Verizon/Sprint variants or any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Android 4.1.1 JRO03L ROM on Galaxy Nexus
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings. Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Unlock the bootloader on your Galaxy Nexus by following the guide → here. This will erase all your data, including the data on the SD card, so back everything up first (see step 1).
- [Important!] Install TWRP recovery on your Nexus by following the guide → here. Make sure to flash the GSM version of recovery. You need recovery to be able to install the ROM and can also use ClockworkMod recovery instead of TWRP.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from its development page.
- Copy the file downloaded in step 4 to phone (DO NOT extract the file).
- Turn off the phone and boot into TWRP/CWM recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons together till the screen turns on. Then, scroll to the Restart Recovery option using the volume buttons, then select it using the Power button to restart in recovery.
- Now, tap on Backup, then slide the blue circle button at the bottom to the right to start backing up your current ROM, so that you can restore it later if something does not work out with the new ROM. After backup is complete, go back to the main menu by clicking the home button at the bottom left of the screen.
- Select Wipe, then select Factory Reset and then confirm the data wipe. This will not wipe your internal SD card’s contents, so do not worry. Then, go back to the main menu by clicking the home button after wipe is complete.
- Select Install, then browse and select the ROM file you downloaded in step 4. Confirm installation to flash it.
- After installation is complete, select the Reboot system button to reboot the phone and boot up into the ROM. First boot might take up to 5-7 minutes.
NOTE: To go back to your previous ROM, turn off the phone and boot into TWRP recovery. Then, select Restore to restore your previous ROM. Once it is restored, simply reboot your phone.
The JRO03L based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM is now installed on your Galaxy Nexus. Follow the development page for further updates and more info on the ROM. And let us know how it works!
You can also try out a few other Jelly Bean based custom ROMs for the Galaxy Nexus → here.