It’s quite a busy time in the Android development community right now, as the official releases of some of the most famous custom ROMs based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 – such as AOKP, CM10, and MIUI – are going live everyday for different devices. Now, the official AT&T Galaxy S3 CM10 nightlies ROM has also been released.
Owners of other variants of the Galaxy S3 can find links to Jelly Bean ROMs for their device at the bottom of this article.
Nightlies are ROM builds that are build (almost) every night (hence the name) incorporating the latest changes made in the code during development, letting you stay on the bleeding edge updates. CM10 gets you the latest version of Android with its own customization options as well as fast performance.
Keep in mind that this is not an official Jelly Bean ROM by Samsung but a custom ROM which is still under development and may have a few bugs and issues, and some Samsung-specific features will not be available.
Read on to find out how you can install the CM10 nightly ROM on the AT&T Galaxy S3.
This guide below is compatible only and only with the AT&T Galaxy S3. It’s not compatible with any other Galaxy S3, it only works for AT&T variant. Check your device’s model in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 on AT&T Galaxy S3
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install ClockworkMod recovery on your phone by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the internal SD card. Do not extract them.
- Now, boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do that, turn off your phone. Then, hold down Volume Up, Home and then the Power buttons together until the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will boot into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the home button to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone into CM10.
NOTE: To go back to your previous ROM if you want to, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your AT&T Galaxy S3. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.
Also try out ParanoidAndroid Jelly Bean ROM for the AT&T Galaxy S3 → here.
Jelly Bean ROMs for other Galaxy S3 variants:
- International Galaxy S3 (GT-i9300):
- T-Mobile Galaxy S3 (SGH-T999):
- Sprint Galaxy S3 (SPH-L710):
- Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535):