UPDATE (December 14, 2012): The latest Google Play Store app right now is version 3.10.10, a very marginal update over previous version, 3.10.9, link of which is below. Download the Google Play 3.10.10 from here.
UPDATE (November 18, 2012): Google Play Store updated to version 3.10.9. Download from here.
Okay, Google has pushed another update to the Play Store and this time they have enabled the gift card redeem function. The latest version of Play Store is now 3.8.17.
However, not much people are claiming that they have gotten the “Redeem” option in their Play store app yet. So I guess, as of now, it’s only some lucky folks in some regions of the world who are seeing it.
Also, some users are reporting that they are seeing the “Redeem” option even in the previous version (3.8.16) of Play Store too.
So it’s pretty clear now that Google is finally taking curtains off the gift card system on Google Play and it should soon be released everywhere in the world where Play store is accessible.
For now, lets just install the latest and greatest version of Play store that’s version 3.8.17, below is a step by step guide to help you out.
How to Install Google Play Store APK 3.8.17
- Download the latest Google Play APK 3.8.17. Filename: Gplay3.8.17.apk
- If you downloaded it on PC, connect your phone to PC and transfer it to phone. Just remember the location where you transferred it on phone or downloaded it.
- Enable installation of apps from memory/sdcard. For this, go to Settings » Applications and enable “Unknown sources” so that you can install applications from SD Card. If you are on Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean (Android 4.0 and lovely Android 4.1, respectively), find it under Settings » Security.
- Make sure you have a file manager installed. Anyone one would do, but if you want our recommendation, it would be Solid Explorer App. Open the file manager and go to folder where you downloaded/transferred the Gplay3.8.17.apk file (if you downloaded it on phone, it should be in Download folder).
- Tap on the Google Play 3.8.17′s apk file — Gplay3.8.17.apk — to begin installation procedure and it will be installed in less than a minute. That’s it. Open the Google Play app now from the app drawer.
Let us know via comments if you need any help over installing/downloading this. And, I guess, you’ll need to be on Android 2.3 and higher to be able to update your Google Play.