10th May, 2014: Google Now Launcher updates to v1.0.16. Grab the latest APK file from the link below:
The time for which we all have been waiting has finally arrived — Google has released the Google Now Launcher to the Play Store, however, that’s for Nexus and Google Play edition devices only.
The Google Now Launcher was released as an exclusively for the Nexus 5, but we were always able to extract the necessary apk files of the launcher and have it installed on just about any Android device. And it worked almost perfectly for all the devices we tested it on so this still bugs me to know that Google has still kept the launcher as exclusive (only available for its own family of devices).
Anyway, the good news is that we still can get the launcher installed on any Android device, and this time we’d be able to do it without any hassle. Previously, we had to install multiple apk files to get the Google Now Launcher function as it should be (with ‘Ok Google’ stuff). But now the Google Now Launcher itself comes with a package 12 MB, packing in all the required files in one .apk file.
GOOGLE NOW LAUNCHER FEATURES
In case you’re unaware of Google Now Launcher, check its features list below:
- Google Now on your home screen – its easier than ever to get just the right information at just the right time.
- Just say “OK Google” – when you’re on your home screen, just say OK Google to trigger voice input. Then say your search query. Or tell your phone what to do, like send a text message, get directions or play a song (available in the US, UK and Canada).
- Faster search – tap the search box and you can enter your query immediately.
- Easy access to your favourite Google products and services, like Gmail, YouTube and Maps.
- Larger viewing area – the status and navigation bars are now translucent, so your wallpaper pops from every pixel, and is even visible when you expand your apps drawer (when supported by device).
- Intuitive wallpaper picker – select any image that’s stored on your device or in the cloud. Position and preview your wallpaper before you set it.
icon-download DOWNLOAD GOOGLE NOW LAUNCHER APK
If you’ve a Nexus or Google Play Edition device, then you can go ahead to Play store and download the Google Now Launcher to your device from there.
Rest of the Android users should download the Google Now Launcher APK file (shared below) and install it like you’d install any other .apk file on your Android device.
icon-download DOWNLOAD APK FILE | File name: google-now-launcher-188.8.131.529417.apk (11.8 MB)
NOTE: If you’re on Android 4.2 or 4.3 Jelly Bean, then you should try this → modified Google Now Launcher APK instead of the one shared on this page.
How to install APK files?
If you don’t know how to install APK files on your Android device, here’s a step-by-step guide to help you out:
- Transfer the APK file you downloaded above to your phone’s internal memory or external SD card.
- Enable installation of Apps (APKs) from Unknown sources in your device’s settings
- Now open the folder where you downloaded or transferred the APK file on your device using a file manager. If you don’t have one, we recommend using the ES File Explorer File Manager app, but any file manager should work fine.
└ If you downloaded the APK file directly on your device, it should be in Download folder.
- Tap/Open the APK file to begin installation and you will be done in less than a minute.
UPDATE: Samsung Galaxy device users are reporting that the Google Now Launcher APK is throwing “There’s a problem parsing the package” error for them. However, the previous way of getting the Google Now Launcher installed on other devices still works. Check the link below for that:
→ How to Install Google Now Launcher (version 0.10.1.920880) [Older version]