Samsung just released the Android Nougat update for the Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S6 Edge. The rollout has begun in several European regions and several users have already updated their devices.
Now, we know, a lot of you people who haven’t received the OTA update will be wanting to try out the official Nougat update right this instance. Luckily, we have got our hands on the Odin flashable firmware for the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge.
The Galaxy S6 Nougat update comes with build number G920FXXU5EQBG, whereas the Galaxy S6 Edge carries the build G925FXXU5EQBG. We have included download links for both the firmwares below. Make sure you download and flash the correct firmware or you might end up bricking your device.
Download Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge Nougat update
Grab the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge Nougat firmware from the download link below to manually install the update on your device using Odin software on your PC.
- Galaxy S6 Nougat firmware (G920FXXU5EQBA, only for SM-G920F model, not for SM-G920I)
- Galaxy S6 Edge Nougat firmware (G925FXXU5EQBG, only for SM-G925F model, not for SM-G925I)
Update: The above firmware files are unbranded builds, so that this installs alright for you. We have removed the previous files, which were branded, as they were tied to carrier, and flashing them caused problems to some users. If you still have branded firmware, then rename the .tar.md5 file to .tar file, and then remove the hidden.img file form it, and then install using Odin. It would install branded firmware files alright. But you do not need to that with above firmware files, which are unbranded. For S6, it’s Open build for UAE, while for the S6 Edge, it’s open build for Europe. Open build means unbranded build, in case you’re wondering.
The OTA update zip isn’t available for download as of yet, but we’ll be sure to post it here as and when we get our hands on it. Meanwhile, we suggest you to install the update using the firmware file linked above. Our step-by-step guide will assist you throughout the process of installing the Nougat firmware manually on your device.
How to Install Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge Nougat update firmware
- Download Odin 3.12.3 .zip file and run/open Odin3 v3.12.3.exe file from the extracted files on your PC.
- Download the Nougat firmware for your device from the downloads section above, and unzip the .zip file to get .TAR.MD5 file.
- Enable OEM unlock on your phone:
- Go to Settings » About phone » and tap Build number seven times to enable Developer options.
- Go back to main Settings page, scroll to bottom and select Developer options from there.
- Under Developer options, look for Enable OEM unlock checkbox/toggle and enable it.
- Boot your device into Download mode:
- Switch off your device.
- Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume down” buttons for a few seconds until you see a warning screen.
- Press Volume Up on the warning screen to accept it and boot into Download mode.
- Once your device is in download mode, connect it to the PC with a USB cable. The Odin window on PC should detect the device and show an “Added!!” message.
- Now click on the AP tab on Odin window and select the firmware file that we got in step 2 above.
└ Note: DON’T play with any other options on the Odin screen. You’re only required to connect your device and select the firmware file as instructed above.
- Click the Start button on Odin and wait for it to finish the process. Once it has finished successfully, you’ll see a pass message on the Odin screen.
- Your device will automatically reboot when Odin is done flashing. You can then disconnect your device.
└ It might take some time for the first boot after flashing a stock firmware.
That’s it. Android 7.0 Nougat firmware should be installed on your Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge. Enjoy!
Do let us know if you need any help with Galaxy S6 Nougat update. If you are experience an issue with the update, let us know. We will try our best to get you a fix.