Moto X users at AT&T have the official Android 5.1.1 updated rolling out today, but if waiting is not something you like a lot, we’ve provided the 5.1 OTA as download below too. Using that, you can install the Moto X 5.1.1 update yourself, right away. Do note that you won’t be able to downgrade back to Android 5.0 after upgrading your Moto X to 5.1 once. So, if you wanna check out 5.1’s feedback by users, better wait and watch for now.
To be able to install AT&T Moto X 5.1.1 OTA, your device must have stock recovery installed. And your device’s system must be unchanged too. In case both these conditions aren’t satisfied, you better get your AT&T Moto X back to stock condition, void of root and TWRP recovery. Once you have stock system and stock recovery, you are good to go.
How to Install 5.1.1 OTA update on AT&T Moto X XT1058
- OTA Update → Direct Link | Yandex Link | File: Blur_Version.212.44.26.ghost_att.ATT.en.US.zip (701 MB)
- MOTOROLA AT&T MOTO X, 2014 edition, model no. XT1058
- Don’t try on any other Android device with a different model no. than XT1058!
Tip: Check the model no. in Settings > About phone. Or, you could also find the model no. on the packaging box of the device.
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup necessary stuff. In case your device is wiped off while following the guide below, it’s good to have a backup of contacts, photos, videos and other files already saved on PC.
- Download the official AT&T Moto X 5.1.1 OTA update from above. Remember, this is for 1st Gen Moto X at AT&T in USA, not for any other Moto X or Android device.
- Connect your Moto X to PC using a USB cable.
- Now transfer the OTA update file (Blur_Version.212.44.26.ghost_att.ATT.en.US.zip) to phone’s storage. Remember the location of it.
- Disconnect the phone now.
- Reboot your Moto X to recovery mode. Do this:
- Power off your Moto X.
- Press and hold Power and Volume down together for like 5-6 seconds and then release them. You’ll enter bootloader mode, with AP FASTBOOT FLASH MODE written at top.
- Use only volume down to move the selection to Recovery and then use volume up to select it and reboot into recovery mode.
- Wait, you’re not there yet. You’ll see a dead Android with exclamation mark. Just press and hold Volume up button for 5-6 seconds, and then while holding it, press Power button once. You will see stock recovery and its options. (Facing any problem? Ask in comments below.)
- In stock recovery, choose ‘install update from sdcard’.
- Now, select the Android 5.1 OTA update file (Blur_Version.212.44.26.ghost_att.ATT.en.US.zip) using volume buttons for navigation and power button to select a file or enter a folder. Once you select file, confirm its install and the update will start installing on your device.
- When done, you will be back to main screen of recovery. Select ‘reboot system now’ to restart your device and welcome the official Android 5.1 update from Motorola.
That’s it. You have successfully installed the AT&T 5.1.1 update for Motorola Moto X!
Need any help? Give us a shout in comments below.