The frantic development of Jelly Bean based custom ROMs continues to amp up and become even more frantic, with devices like the Galaxy S3 – for which the official Samsung Android 4.1 update will be coming in a few months – being at the center thanks to their popularity. With a couple of Jelly Bean ROMs already under its belt, the Galaxy S3 has gotten yet another Android 4.1 ROM.
XDA Recognized Developer Faryaab has released the unofficial AOKP ROM based on Jelly Bean for the S3, which brings AOKP features such as extensive customization options and fast performance along with Jelly Bean improvements such as a smooth as butter interface, improved and actionable notifications, advanced voice recognition assistant, and lots more. As the ROM is based on Android source and not Samsung firmware, there may be a few bugs and issues in the ROM, so keep that in mind while trying out the ROM.
Let’s take a look at how the unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean ROM can be installed on the Galaxy S3.
This hack and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy S3, model number i9300. It’s not compatible with the US variants or other devices. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S3
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from its development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the internal SD card (do not extract them, copy the zip files directly).
- Now, boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do that, turn off your phone. Then, hold down Volume Up, Home and then the Power buttons together until the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will boot into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the home button to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the Gapps package finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone into AOKP ROM. First boot will take up to 5-7 minutes.
- NOTE: To return back to a stock Samsung ROM, follow the guide here to do so.
AOKP ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Samsung Galaxy S3. Visit the development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.