Wohoo! This has come earlier than we expected. Motorola yesterday began rolling out Android 5.0 Lollipop soak test update to the Moto X (2014) Pure Edition. And thanks to graffixnyc, who posted the OTA update’s zip file for anyone to install and try.
The Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA update from Motorola soak test can be installed only via stock recovery and an unrooted device. If you have a custom recovery, then you need to install the stock recovery first to be able install the Lollipop OTA update.
This is only for the Moto X (2014) Pure Edition devices so don’t try to install this on your carrier branded or any other Moto 2014 variant. Also, since OTA updates are meant to be downloaded and installed automatically by system, you’ll have to use ADB sideload command to install the OTA update manually, and for that you’ll also need a PC.
We don’t have a Moto X 2014 Pure Edition device with us, so we can’t tell how does Moto X’s Android 5.0 Lollipop looks and feels like. However, we wouldn’t doubt assuming that the Lollipop update from Motorola would look very much similar to that of Google’s flavor on the Nexus 6.
The Nexus 6 is an advanced version of Moto X 2014, but it shares the same design and build quality. We guess Motorola had access to Android 5.0 Lollipop stuff long before any other manufacturer, as this year’s Nexus was being developed Motorola itself.
VIDEO OVERVIEW (from Droid Life)
You can download the Lollipop OTA update for the Moto X 2014 from the download link below. And since you’ll have to adb sideload the OTA zip, you’ll also need adb files on your PC to make it work.
icon-download Download Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA (652 MB)
File name: Blur_Version.21.21.42.victara_tmo.tmo.en.US.zip
Fastboot and ADB files (919 KB)
File name: adb_and_fastboot_files.zip
- Stock recovery
- Stock non-rooted system
WARNING: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Important Note: Backup important files (music, photos, documents, videos, etc.) stored on your Moto X 2014 before installing the leaked Android Lollipop OTA update. If in case anything goes wrong, you’ll at-least have a backup of all your important files.
- Make sure your device is Moto X (2014) Pure Edition XT1095, do NOT install this OTA on any other variant of Moto X.
- Extract/Unzip the adb_and_fastboot_files.zip file to a separate folder on your computer.
- Copy/paste the Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA zip file “Blur_Version.21.21.42.victara_tmo.tmo.en.US.zip” to the folder where you extracted files in Step 2 above.
- Enable USB debugging on your Moto X:
- First enable developer options, go to Settings » About phone » and tap the “Build number” seven times.
- Go back to Settings » select Developer options » scroll down a bit and tick the check box next to “USB Debugging”.
- Connect your Moto X to PC using an USB cable. You may see a pop-up on your Moto X asking you to “Allow USB debugging”, tick the checkbox in it and press OK to confirm.
- Open the folder where you extracted files in Step 2 and open a command window inside the folder by prssing “Shift + Right click” on any empty white space inside the folder.
- Now boot your phone into recovery mode by issuing the following command:
adb reboot recovery
- Once you’re in recovery mode, scroll down using the Volume down button, highlight “apply update from ADB”, and select it using the Power button
- Now issue the following command in command window on your PC to finally install Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA on your Moto X 2014:
adb sideload Blur_Version.21.21.42.victara_tmo.tmo.en.US.zip
- Your OTA file will now transfer to device and then begin updating your Moto X to Android 5.0.
- Once it is done, reboot your device by selecting Reboot from the recovery menu.
That’s all. Your Moto X will now boot with Android 5.0 Lollipop. Be extremely excited for this!