Android 4.1 Based ROM for i9100G Galaxy S2
With the arrival of Jelly Bean Android 4.1 – as well as the official CM9 ROM a couple of months ago – the i9100G variant of the international Galaxy S2 is finally getting its due of custom ROMs, with a couple of Jelly Bean ROMs already out for it (including the official CM10 ROM). Samsung’s official Android 4.1 update for the i9100G may or may not come, but the custom development community is making sure that people are able to taste Jelly Bean on their devices anyway.
Vanilla RootBOX – a Jelly Bean Android 4.1 ROM that takes the best customization features of both CM10 and AOKP ROM and was recently released for the I9100 – has now been released for the i9100G as well, bringing Jelly Bean features such as a smoother interface, advanced voice recognition, improved and even more useful notifications, etc, along with the best of two famous custom ROMs combined into one.
The ROM is currently under development and has a few issues, the current list of which is given below (quoted from the development page):
- Google Ears
- Rom Control – Missing features (NavBar doesn’t work)
- Long press to search
- A2DP, also known as Music over Bluetooth (Untested on I9100G) (Bluetooth calls and file transfers work!)
- Mounting points are changed in JB! Don’t you dare complain about it!! (/sdcard /extSdCard)
- No option to swap Internal/External
- Only MTP connection (No USB Mass Storage for now!)
If the issues listed above aren’t too serious to deter you from trying the ROM out, continue reading to find out how you can install Vanilla RootBOX ROM on your Galaxy S i9100G.
This firmware and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy S2, model number I9100G. It’s not compatible with the I9100 or any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Vanilla RootBOX ROM on Galaxy S2 i9100G
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Install the stock Android 4.0.3 XXLPQ firmware on your phone by following the guide → here.
- Install Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery on XXLPQ by following the guide → here.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from its development page.
- Copy the downloaded zip file to the internal SD card.
- Turn off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod recovery. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP + Home + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery.
Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option in recovery.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select mounts and storage, then select format /system to format the system partition. Then go back to the main recovery menu after format is complete (this will not affect SD card files).
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into Vanilla RootBOX ROM. The first boot can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
- NOTE: To go back to a stock Samsung ROM again, you can flash the XXLPQ firmware by following the guide linked in step 2 above.
Vanilla RootBOX ROM based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.