DianXinOS, a Gingerbread based custom ROM, is a new and recent entry into the world of Android custom ROMs. Featuring a completely new UI (quite similar to MIUI) and some other useful and intuitive features, DianXinOS aka DX ROM has been making its way onto quite a few Android devices of late.
DianXinOS has now been ported over to the Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100, giving S2 owners a chance to try out a completely different ROM than the ones currently available for it. Some of the unique features that DX ROM adds in general are listed below:
- Individual apps (contacts, launcher, etc.) can be updated separately without the need to update the whole ROM.
- Beautiful UI
- Tons of battery saving options
- Very fast and super responsive
- Ability to set individual themes for each contact/message
- Make backups of contacts, text and phone, anywhere, anytime. Restore them from your phone or from the cloud.
- Record your own alarms
So take your Galaxy S2 out and lets see how we can flash this beauty of a ROM on it. Read on for the full procedure.
This procedure is compatible only and only with Samsung Galaxy S2, model number i9100. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
Read everything carefully and thoroughly. The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!
- This procedure will wipe all your apps and data (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry). So backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Make sure your Galaxy S2 is sufficiently charged, at least 50% is recommended.
How to Install DianXinOS (DX ROM) on Galaxy S2 i9100
- Download and install XXKH3 firmware on your phone from → here
- Root XXKH3 using from → here. This will also install Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery, which you will need in order to install DX ROM (or any other ROM).
- Download the latest version of DX ROM from the original development page.
- Transfer the zip file you downloaded above to your internal sdcard (not the external microSD).
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery mode. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until Samsung’s screen shows up: Volume UP+Home+Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery. Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power/home key to select an option.
- Now, select “wipe data/factory reset”. Then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm. (This will not touch your SD cards so don’t worry).
- Then, select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Then, browse to the file you transferred to the sdcard in step 4 and select it.
- Confirm installation on the next screen by selecting the option “Yes — Install *your_rom_name*.zip“. The ROM will now start installing.
- After installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
There you have it. The DianXinOS aka DX ROM is now installed on your Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100. Visit the original development page to get more info and the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on this new ROM in the comments.