MIUI seems to have really picked up speed lately, going by the consistent rate at which new MIUI builds, official or otherwise are being released for a variety of devices. Today, we have a brand new MIUI 4 ROM based on Android 4.0.3 or Ice Cream Sandwich, and the 2.1.20 base, for the HTC Desire Z/ G2.
The ROM is ported over from the Desire HD, by XDA member cjward23. The ROM is currently in Alpha stage, and that mean one cannot rule out the possibility of some bugs. But looking at the development page, most of the key things required for daily usage work just fine ─ so definitely no show-stoppers, if you’re already thinking of flashing this next.
A quick peek at the features and known issues, quoted from the development thread:
- Android 4.0.3
- Apps updated to latest versions
- Quattro Kernel & Libaries (latest)
- Latest Superuser and binary
- Trackpad Wake
- USB Tethering
- you tell me..
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!!
This rom and the guide below is compatible only and only with the T-Mobile G2 or the HTC Desire Z. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render the device unusable. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
- Rooted Desire Z/ G2 with Clockwork Mod recovery. You can use this link as reference
- Installing/Flashing this ROM will erase your apps and data. So, it’s very important you back them up, before proceeding further. To backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. Restore APN settings if Internet isn’t working for you. You can refer to this excellent Android Backup Guide to back up all your data and settings.
- Fully Charged Battery
How To Install MIUI ICS 4.0.3 Alpha 1 on HTC Desire Z / G2
Update (Feb 12, 2012): Guide below has been updated to remove the portion which required flashing of kernel file too, after the rom file’s flashing, since it’s no longer required.
- Download the MIUI ICS Alpha ROM & Kernel zip files (Links provided above)
- Transfer both the downloaded zip files to the root of your external microSD card on the Desire Z/G2
- Power off the phone and reboot into Clockworkmod Recovery (Press Volume Down & Power Key, and select recovery in the next screen)
- Perform a full Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again.
- Perform a full Wipe in the order given below
- Wipe data / factory reset –> Select Yes- Wipe data/Factory reset on the next screen
- Wipe Cache Partition –> Select Yes- Wipe cache partition on the next screen
- From the main menu, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache–>Yes-Wipe Dalvik on the next screen
- Now scroll to “Install zip from sdcard” and select it
- Select “Choose zip from sdcard” & Scroll to the ‘MIUI_v4_Vision_Alpha1.zip‘ file you transferred in Step 2 and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes — MIUI_v4_Vision_Alpha1.zip”. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation of kernel is complete, select ‘Go Back‘ and then select ‘Reboot system‘
- That’s it!! Once your phone has rebooted, you should be ready to show off MIUI 4 Ice Cream Sandwich on your phone.
Go ahead and try it out and let us know about your experience in comments below. We’d love to hear from you.