Cyanogenmod 9 (CM9), based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 is perhaps the best custom ROM you can find for any Android device. The CyanogenMod team has recently started adding nightly ROM support for CM9 on various devices. Nightlies are auto compiled builds of the ROM that change every night, incorporating the latest changes made by the developers every day. The Galaxy S i9000 also recently got official nightly support for CM9, after the release of the Android 4.0.4 sources by Google, which brought along performance and stability improvements.
Now, keep in mind that the nightly builds are not officially supported as they are automatically generated builds, but they do help in getting you the latest updates in the ROM at a regular basis. The ROM has a few bugs and issues, a full list of which you can find under ROM Info below.
Read on to find out how you can install the CM9 nightly ROM on your Galaxy S i9000.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Galaxy S, model number i9000. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
Developer → pawitp
- Camera does not support scene modes
- FM Radio does not work.
- Phone unnecessarily gets data connection on device encryption password enter screen.
- Cannot format external SD
- Format internal instead of external SD when requested to format ext. SD
- Transfer speed slows down when screen off
- Stuck clock in status bar
- Sometimes WiFi signal indicator is empty on boot (or using Juice Defender)
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How to Install CM9 Nightly ROM on Galaxy S i9000
Important Note, Please Read: If you are already on an Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 ROM, you can skip steps 1-3 and start directly from step 4. If unsure of what ROM you are on, follow all the steps.
- Remove sim card lock, if you have set it earlier. Go here: Settings » Location and Security » Sim card lock » checkbox should be clear (not selected).
- Flash the stock XXJW4 firmware by using → this guide.
- Root XXJW4 to obtain Clockworkmod recovery (CWM) by using → this guide.
- Download the latest version of CM9 ROM from the original development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 4 and step 5 to the root of the internal SD card (not the micro SD).
- Turn off your Galaxy S and wait for complete shutdown (wait for vibration and check capacitive button lights).
- Then, boot into CWM recovery. To do so, press and hold these 3 buttons together: Volume Up, Home, and the Power button till the screen turns on, then let go of the buttons. In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select wipe cache then select Yes on next screen to confirm.
- Now select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- The phone might reboot into recovery in the middle of installation and then continue installing the ROM. However, if it simply reboots but doesn’t continue installation, repeat step 10.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now repeat step 10, but this time select the Google apps package file you downloaded in step 5 to install the Google apps package. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen.
- After the installation is complete, select go back and then select reboot system now to reboot your phone.
- The first boot of the ROM will take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
Updating to Newer Builds of the ROM
As the ROM is in the nightly stage, a new version will come out regularly. To update to newer versions, follow the steps given below.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the development page.
- Transfer the downloaded file to the internal SD card.
- Turn off phone and boot into recovery.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select go back and then select reboot system now to reboot your phone and boot into the updated version of the ROM.
- [Optional] If you have problems like apps force-closing, etc after updating, boot into recovery, do a wipe data/factory reset, then reboot the phone.
Following the above procedures, you can install the CM9 nightly ROM on your Galaxy S, as well as update to newer versions of the ROM as and when they come out. Visit the original development page to get more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.