Owners of the Motorola Triumph will have something to be happy about, as a semi-working build of CM9 (CyanogenMod 9) based on Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich has been released for it. Developer g60madman of the Phandroid Android forums along with team MTDEV-CM9R2 is responsible for the feat.
CM9 as you probably already know features fast and smooth performance, along with customization options that let you personalize various aspects of your phone’s ROM. It also features the pure stock Android experience as found on Nexus devices, without any bloatware or unnecessary apps. The ROM however is currently a work in progress and in development, so a few issues exist in the ROM so it might not be suitable for every day use.
∙ Hard Keys currently don’t light up
∙ Tethering (USB)
∙ Netflix streaming
Make sure you have read the list of issues above, then continue reading to find out how you can install CM9 on your Motorola Triumph.
This guide is applicable only for Motorola Triumph. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM9 on Motorola Triumph
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery (CWM) installed on the phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from its development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
- Copy the two zip files downloaded in step 3 and 4 to the SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone. Then, boot into ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery. To do so, hold down the Power, Volume Up, and Volume Down buttons simultaneously until the phone vibrates. Phone will then boot into CWM.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and the menu key to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install ______.zip on the next screen. The ROM will now start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into CM9. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
NOTE: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as given in step 6). Then select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
CM9 based on Android 4.0 is now installed and running on your Motorola Triumph. Visit the development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.