This is a great advantage of having a Nexus device from Google. Custom ROMs and hacks come out for them so fast, it’s like they were prepared even before the phone hit the market. Cyanogenmod 9 aka CM9 ROM is now available for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus, bringing you an Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 ROM with improved performance and customization than what the stock ROMs allow.
The ROM is under development for now, so expect a few bugs or issues to show up without warning. But those should be few and far between, as ROMs for Nexus phones are generally very stable thanks to the open-source friendliness of Nexus devices.
So, read on to find out how you can install CM9 on your Sprint Galaxy Nexus.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Sprint Galaxy Nexus. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM9 on Sprint Galaxy Nexus
- Important! Make sure the bootloader on your phone is unlocked. You can use this guide on how to do it (external link).
- Install the Touch Clockworkmod recovery on your phone by following the guide → here. Don’t try this procedure with any other recovery.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official download page. Download the latest build under the type CM_SNAPSHOT. Do not download the CM_NIGHTLY files.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120422-signed.zip
- Copy the two zip files downloaded in step 3 and 4 to the SD card on the phone.
- Boot into CWM recovery. To do this, turn off the phone. Then, press and hold the following keys together: Power + Volume Up and Down to enter Fastboot mode. Then, using the volume buttons, navigate to the Recovery mode option, then select it using the Power button to reboot into recovery mode.
- Important! Perform a wipe:
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select wipe cache then select Yes on next screen to confirm.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After installation is complete, go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now, repeat step 8, but this time, select the gapps-ics-20120422-signed.zip file. Select Yes on next screen to confirm installation of the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into CM9. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
That’s it. Cyanogenmod 9 aka CM9 is now installed on your Sprint Galaxy Nexus. Visit the official development page for more information and the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.