It’s here. Cyanogenmod 9 rom based on Ice Cream Sandwich for the T-Mobile myTouch 4G. XDA senior member febycv has just released a fresh alpha build of CM9 for the myTouch 4G. The new ROM is compiled from the latest Cyanogenmod source, and should surely give your device a shot in the arm.
The build, like I mentioned before, is an early alpha, meaning some bugs are to be expected. CM9, across the board, is under heavy development and does have bugs serious enough to let down one’s larger than life enthusiasm of trying it, but it’s just a matter of time before these are ironed out and steady builds are released. So, lets get the goods.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the T-Mobile myTouch 4G. It’s not compatible with any other device. So, be sure to try this only on the myTouch 4G and not any other device. You can check your device model by going to Settings–>About Phone.
Developer: febycv (XDA)
- USB Mount
- Rooted myTouch 4G with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Battery charged to minimum of 50%.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install Cyanogenmod 9 (CM9) on T-Mobile myTouch 4G
- Download the CM9 Alpha ROM & ICS Gapps package from the original development page
- Connect your phone to PC via USB cable and transfer both the downloaded fils to the root of the external SD card
- Switch off the phone and reboot into recovery (Volume Down + Power button together)
- Once you are in Clockworkmod Recovery, scroll to Backup & Restore and select Backup (This will make a full backup of your existing ROM, and save it to the sdcard. You can restore from this backup, if something gets messed up with the installation.)
- Now Perform a full wipe. 1) Navigate to Wipe data/Factory Reset–>Confirm wipe on the next screen 2) Go to Wipe Cache Partition –> Confirm Wipe Cache on the next screen 3) From the Main menu, select Advanced–>Wipe Dalvik Cache–>On the next screen confirm Wipe dalvik
- Now select install Zip from sdcard –> Choose zip from sd card –> Select the ‘cm9_alpha_glacier.zip’ file you transferred in Step 2. This will start flashing the ROM to your device.
- Once installation is complete, repeat Step 6, but this time select the ‘gapps-ics-20120213-signed.zip‘ file.
- Let the Gapps package get installed. Once the installation is done, select Go Back and then Select reboot System.
- Wait for the system to boot up. The first boot may take a little longer than usual, but don’t worry; this is normal.
- Congratulations!!! You are now running Cyanogenmod 9 powered by Ice Cream Sandwich on your myTouch 4G.
You can visit the original development thread to check for updates, user experience and to submit bugs. If you want to tell us about your experience, or need any help with flashing, give us a hoot in comments below, and we’ll be right here to support you.