Make way, the king of all custom ROMs is finally here for the Asus Transformer Prime! That’s right, CyanogenMod 9 (CM9) based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 has been released for the Prime. After the release of the official ICS update for the Prime by Asus as well as the release of the bootloader unlocking tool, developers jumped right on and development began in full force.
It was only a matter of time till the Cyanogenmod team released CM9 for the Prime, and now it’s available for you to try out. It’s currently in the beta stage, with updates that come out every night in the form of nightlies, which are automatically generated development builds that incorporate the latest changes committed by the developers every day.
As it’s a beta, it’s not completely stable and still has a few bugs and issues, which should be fixed as time goes by and CM9 matures further. Read on to find out how to flash CM9 on your Asus Transformer Prime.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Asus Transformer Prime, model number TF201. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About Tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
- A rooted and bootloader unlocked Transformer Prime TF201 with Clockworkmod Recovery installed. Check this guide for rooting Honeycomb firmware and this page for rooting Ice Cream Sandwich firmware. Install Clockworkmod recovery by following the guide → here
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Make sure the battery is sufficiently charged. At least 50% is recommended.
How to Install CM9 on Asus Transformer Prime
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development thread.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Link | Filename: gapps-ics-20120224-signed.zip
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 1 and step 2 to the root of your SD card on your tablet.
- Turn off the device and reboot into Clockworkmod Recovery.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again. Restore your backup using the “restore” option when required.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD cards).
- Then, select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache”, then select “Yes” to confirm. After wiping dalvik cache, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes – Install *your_rom_name*.zip” on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now repeat step 7, but this time select the Google apps package file gapps-ics-20120224-signed.zip to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the tablet.
CM9 based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 is now up and running on your Transformer Prime. Visit the development page to get more info and the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.