A few days ago we brought the news to you that work on a CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) ROM – based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 – for the HTC Sensation had begun, but the ROM wasn’t in a really stable state at that moment. Well, now it is quite a bit more stable and ready to be used and tried out.
Developed by XDA Senior Member bruce2728, the ROM gets you Jelly Bean features - like a fast and smooth interface, advanced voice recognition assisted Google Search, improved and actionable notifications, smarter keyboard, Google Now information cards for automatic and useful info like weather, traffic, etc, and quite a lot more – along with fast performance and customization options found in CyanogenMod for a great experience.
Keep in mind that this is not an official HTC ROM and is currently under development, so there may be a few bugs and issues in it and some things may not work the way you expect them to. The following things currently work/do not work in the ROM (quoted from the developer):
Front facing camera
WiFi hotspot – use BT tether
Calls & data
Hardware acceleration (videos need s/w decoder at moment)
Voice input (GNow)
Read on to find out how you can install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your HTC Sensation with CM10 ROM.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the HTC Sensation. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 on HTC Sensation
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- [Important] Your HTC Sensation must have S-Off and its bootloader must be unlocked. You can unlock the bootloader on the phone officially → here. Also, make sure ClockworkMod recovery is installed on your phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the SD card.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into Clockworkmod recovery by simultaneously pressing and holding the Volume down button and the Power button. From the resulting HBOOT menu, press Volume down to select the Recovery option and press the Power button to activate it.
In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select items.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into CM10. The first boot can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
- Important! You must do the things mentioned below after the phone boots up, at least till the ROM gets fixed updates:
- After first boot, go to Settings » Performance » Processor and set the minimum CPU frquency to 384 MHz, then tick “Set on boot”.
- Then, every time the phone boots up (including the first time), go to Settings » Developer options and tick “Disable HD overlays”.
(NOTE: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as given in step 6), select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.)
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your HTC Sensation. Visit the development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.