CM10 – based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 – is making its way to a lot of devices in the last couple of days, as the basic code for CM10 has been released. After a port of CM10 for the Galaxy S, its vibrant cousin (excuse the pun) – the Samsung Vibrant has also received a CM10 ROM, thanks to XDA Forum Member go_l_den. Jelly Bean brings a lot of new features such as advanced search functionality, smoother performance, better keyboard, and more.
However, the ROM is currently in its early development stage, so expect bugs and issues to be present in the ROM, which may not be stable enough for daily use.
The following things currently work/do not work in the ROM:
- Camera (if gapps aren’t installed)
- Bluetooth (not tested yet)
- Google Now
- Everything that isn’t listed below…
What Doesn’t Work
- Camera MIGHT NOT work with gapps installed (hit or miss)
- Boot animations may freeze and loop, but the device does boot!
- Google sound recognition (for indentifying music) does not work
- Mounting of external sd card to computer (??)
NOTE: CM10 is in a very preliminary stage right now, so as already mentioned above, there are no specific customization features of CyanogenMod in CM10 yet, so consider this a purely preview version of CM10.
Read on to find out how you can install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your Samsung Vibrant with CM10 ROM.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Vibrant, model number T959. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 on Samsung Vibrant
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Remove sim card lock, if you have set it earlier. Go here: Settings » Location and Security » Sim card lock » checkbox should be clear (not selected).
- Download the latest version of the ROM and the kernel from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120715.zip
- Also download the root fix package.
Download Link | Filename: JB-SuperSU.zip
- Copy the zip files downloaded in step 3, 4 and 5 to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Turn off your Vibrant and wait for complete shutdown (wait for vibration and check capacitive button lights).
- Then, boot into CWM recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down buttons while powering on the phone. When the screen turns on, let go of all three buttons. The phone will boot up into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, perform the following steps:
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation is complete, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the kernelfile to install the kernel.
- After kernel installation is complete, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the JB-SuperSU.zip file to install the root fix package.
- After the root fix package completes installing, select choose zip from sdcard yet again, then select the gapps-jb-20120715.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After installation of the Google apps package is complete, go back to the main recovery menu. Then, select advanced, then select Fix permissions. Then, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into CM10.
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Samsung Vibrant. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.