After the Galaxy S and the Samsung Vibrant got the first CM10 ROM, how could the Samsung Captivate stay away? The first build of CM10 – based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 – has come out for the Captivate, by XDA Forum Member wrsmega. It’s quite an early build, yet has the most important things such as calls and data connectivity working, so we can only assume it will become stable soon.
NOTE: CM10 is in a very preliminary stage right now, hence there are no specific customization features of CyanogenMod in CM10 yet, so consider this a purely preview version of CM10, even though it can be used for running Jelly Bean on your device.
The ROM may have a few bugs and issues due to its development tag, so keep in mind that it may not be completely stable. Currently, the following things work/do not work in the ROM:
- Google now (FULLY FUNCTIONAL AS OF V2)
- Play Store
- Google Ears/Sound Search
Read on to find out how you can install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your Samsung Captivate with CM10 ROM.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Captivate, model number SGH-I897. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 on Samsung Captivate
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Remove sim card lock, if you have set it earlier. Go here: Settings » Location and Security » Sim card lock » checkbox should be clear (not selected).
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120715.zip
- Also download the kernel needed for the ROM.
Download Link | Filename: Devil3_0.79_cappy_CFS_BLN_VC_20120618.zip
- Copy the zip files downloaded in step 3, 4 and 5 to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Turn off your Vibrant and wait for complete shutdown (wait for vibration and check capacitive button lights).
- Then, boot into CWM recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down buttons while powering on the phone. When the screen turns on, let go of all three buttons. The phone will boot up into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, perform the following steps:
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation is complete, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the Devil3_0.79_cappy_CFS_BLN_VC_20120618.zip file to install the kernel. The phone might reboot into recovery while flashing the kernel, which is normal. If the phone gets stuck in a boot loop after rebooting, remove and reinsert the battery, then boot into CWM recovery again.
- After the kernel completes installing, select choose zip from sdcard yet again, then select the gapps-jb-20120715.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After installation of the Google apps package is complete, go back to the main recovery menu. Then, select advanced, then select Fix permissions. Then, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into CM10.
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Samsung Captivate. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.