The original Galaxy Tab lives on! CM10 has been released for the Galaxy Tab P1000, based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 and released by XDA Recognized Developer cdesai. Jelly Bean features a smooth as butter interface, advanced voice recognition, smarter keyboard, and a lot of other changes and improvements, and now you can taste Jelly Bean on your Galaxy Tab and keep it up to date with the latest Android version.
NOTE: This is a preview version of CM10 so it will have bugs and issues present and some things might not work correctly, though the developer states it is good enough for everyday use. Also, do not expect to see many customization options of CyanogenMod to be present in the ROM right now as CM10 is in its early stages.
Here’s a list of things currently working/not working quoted from the developer (most updated list is on the development page linked in the guide):
- Bluetooth (untested)
- RIL (Calls / 3G / Messaging)
- FFC (Front Facing Camera)
- Auto-Rotation animation looks weird.
- External sd doesn’t work (isn’t mounted)
- Will add more as they are discovered
Read on for the instructions on how to flash CM10 on Galaxy Tab P1000.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy Tab, model number P1000. It’s not compatible with other Galaxy Tab 10.1 variants or with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 on Galaxy Tab
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on the tablet.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market/Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip
- Copy the two zip files downloaded in step 3 and 4 to the internal SD card on the tablet.
- Now power off the tablet and boot to Clockworkmod Recovery. To do this, hold the Volume Up + Power buttons together till the screen turns on, then let them go.
Use volume buttons to scroll up and down and the power button to select options in recovery.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot up into Jelly Bean. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
CM10 based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now installed and running on your Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000. Visit the official development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.