With only a month and a half gone by since Jelly Bean Android 4.1 was released, it’s surprising to see how fast CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) ROMs are getting ported to so many Android devices, providing them with a taste of Jelly Bean without having to wait for official updates from the manufacturers themselves.
XDA Senior Member locerra has ported and released an unofficial CM10 for all variants of the Galaxy Tab 7.7 (P6800, P6810, I815). CM10 brings Jelly Bean with its smooth as butter interface and other improvements, along with CyanogenMod’s proven performance and customization features that allow useful personal customization of the ROM.
Keep in mind that the ROM is a work in progress, so there may be a few issues present in it, and some things might not work properly. Here’s the current list of issues (quoted from the developer):
- CM10 is in a primitive state, many features are still missing or don’t work
- HDMI dongle doesn’t work
- Some USB keyboards aren’t working
- I815: CDMA and LTE isn’t enabled
- I815: GPS doesn’t work
- I815: Autobrightness is broken
Let’s take a look at how CM10 can be installed on the Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800/P6810/I515.
How to Install CM10 on Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800/P6810/I515
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your tablet.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from its development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and 4 to the SD card on the tablet.
- Turn off the tablet and boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Power keys together. Once the tablet turns on, let go of power button but keep holding Volume Up button till the tablet boots into ClockworkMod recovery.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to scroll up/down and the power button to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After Gapps finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot up into CM10.
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Galaxy Tab 7.7. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.