Here’s some Android 4.1 Jelly Bean goodness for the Galaxy Tab Plus variants. CM10 (CyanogenMod 10) based on Jelly Bean has been ported to the Galaxy Tab Plus, bringing the features of the latest and greatest version of Android – buttery smooth performance, smarter keyboard, improved and actionable notifications, voice recognition assisted Google Search as well as Google Now to provide relevant info to the user, faster browser, etc – to the 7″ tablet, along with CyanogenMod’s proven performance and useful customization options.
The CM10 ROM for the Galaxy Tab Plus is currently under development and in its early stages, so there are a few things that do not work properly yet and there may be some bugs present in the ROM. Also, since this is an unofficial custom stock Android ROM, Samsung specific features will not be present in it and some apps like the camera may be different.
The following things currently work/do not work in the ROM (quoted from development page, where latest list of issues can be checked):
- Proximity sensor
- Torch app
- Touch input
- Physical buttons (volume + power)
- Telephony (voice, sms)
- Front and back cameras
- Video recording
- Hardware-accelerated video decoding (H.264/AAC)
- Mobile data
- Auto brightness
- Bluetooth (including A2DP)
Maybe working (haven’t tested extensively)
- USB Tethering
- Low-power mode (off-mode charging)
What’s not working:
- USB mounting of internal storage (will never work). Removable sdcard can work, but is disabled for now. Note: USB mounting is different than MTP, which works fine already.
- HDMI out
- Hardware acceleration for DivX/MP3
- IR Blaster
Make sure to take a look at the current issues (on the development page linked in step 3 below), then follow the guide to see how CM10 can be installed on the Galaxy Tab Plus.
This firmware and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy Tab Plus, model numbers P6200, P6210 and T689. It’s not compatible with other devices. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 on Galaxy Tab Plus P6200/P6210/T689
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed on your tablet.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the development page. Be sure to download the correct version according to your tablet’s model number (check model number in Settings » About on the tablet).
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the downloaded zip files from step 3 and step 4 to the internal SD card. Do not extract them.
- Turn off the tablet. Boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, hold down the Volume Up + Power buttons together till the screen turns on, then let go of power button but keep holding down Volume Up for about 5 more seconds.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete. This will only delete installed apps and settings, but leave all personal files intact.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation of the Google apps package is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot into CM10. First boot will take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
NOTE: Galaxy Tab Plus P6200 owners can go back to Honeycomb Android 3.1 from CM10 if needed by following the guide → here.
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Galaxy Tab Plus P6200/P6210/T689. Visit the development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.