- 1.CWM RECOVERY INFO
- 2. WARNING!
- 3. GUIDE: CWM RECOVERY FOR SONY XPERIA Z2
- 3.1. STEP 0: CHECK DEVICE MODEL NO.
- 3.2. icon-info-circle STEP 1: CHECK FIRMWARE VERSION
- 3.3. STEP 2: BACKUP YOUR DEVICE
- 3.4. STEP 3: INSTALL LATEST DRIVER
- 3.5. STEP 4: UNLOCK BOOTLOADER
- 3.6. STEP 5: INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
CWM RECOVERY INFO
Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page.
You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
GUIDE: CWM RECOVERY FOR SONY XPERIA Z2
Before you begin with the instructions below, make sure your android device is adequately charged — at least 50% battery of the device.
STEP 0: CHECK DEVICE MODEL NO.
To make sure your device is eligible with this, you must first confirm its model no. in ‘About device’ option under Settings. Another way to confirm model no. is by looking for it on the packaging box of your device. It must be D6502/D6503
Do not use the procedures discussed here on any other variant of Sony Xperia Z2 or any other device of Sony or any other company. You have been warned!
icon-info-circle STEP 1: CHECK FIRMWARE VERSION
Make sure that your Sony Xperia Z2 is on Android 4.4.2 firmware version 17.1.A.2.36 – v01. If not, then do not proceed with the procedures given below.
STEP 2: BACKUP YOUR DEVICE
Back up important data and stuff before you start playing around here as there are chances you might lose your apps and app-data (app settings, game progress, etc.), and in rare case, files on the internal memory, too.
For help on Backup and Restore, check out our exclusive page on that linked right below.
STEP 3: INSTALL LATEST DRIVER
You must have proper and working driver installed on your windows computer to be able to successfully flash CWM Recovery on your Sony Xperia Z2. If you are not sure, follow the link below to download the latest driver for Sony Xperia Z2.
STEP 4: UNLOCK BOOTLOADER
Skip this step if your device is already bootloader unlocked.
Use must first unlock the bootloader on your Sony Xperia Z2 before proceeding with the guide below. Without unlocking the bootloader you won’t be able to use fastboot commands to flash the recovery on your device.
Check out our step-by-step guide (linked below) on unlocking the bootloader on Sony Xperia Z2.
STEP 5: INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Download the one click CWM installer zip file given below. Transfer installer zip file to a separate folder on your computer just to keep things tidy.
ONE CLICK CWM INSTALLER
DOWNLOAD LINK | File name: ‘CWM Recovery for Sony Xperia Z2.zip’ (14.3 MB)
Important Note: Backup important files stored on internal SD card of your device, so that in case a situation arises requiring you to do a factory reset after flashing CWM Recovery, which might delete internal sd card too, your files will remain safe on PC.
- Prepare your phone:
- Enable developer options: Go to your phone’s Settings » select About phone » Scroll to the bottom and tap on “Build number” seven times to enable developer options.
- Enable USB Debugging: Open phone’s Settings » select Developer options » Tick the “USB debugging” check-box (under Debugging section).
- Connect your phone to PC with a USB cable and if a pop-up screen shows up on phone asking you to Allow USB debugging for the computer, make sure you tick the checkbox and tap OK.
- Extract the installer file ‘CWM Recovery for Sony Xperia Z2.zip‘ (using 7-zip free software, preferably). You’ll get the following files, and one folder:
- api (folder)
- Double-click/Run the ‘1-click-CWM-recovery-installer.bat’ file and follow the simple on-screen instructions like ‘Press any key to continue..’ to install CWM recovery on your Sony Xperia Z2.
- Once the CWM recovery is flashed successfully on your Sony Xperia Z2, your device will automatically reboot.
└Note: In case the script gets stuck on < waiting for device > (see image below) for more than a minute or so, then it means you don’t have proper drivers installed on your computer for your Sony Xperia Z2. Follow the drivers installation guide provided above for troubleshooting driver and other connectivity issues.
That’s all, enjoy!
HOW TO BOOT INTO RECOVERY MODE?
Check out the link for help on booting your Sony Xperia Z2 into Recovery Mode:
Your suggestions and queries, if any, are most welcomed!