T-Mobile Galaxy S2 owners, you will finally be able to use your device as a USB host. All you need to do is flash this kernel, and get a USB OTG cable. (If you don’t already have one, try eBay!)
The kernel comes with OTG USB host mode enabled, which allows you to connect USB flash drives, USB mouse, USB keyboards, USB Hard disks ( must be independently powered) to your T-Mobile Galaxy S2, after you’ve flashed this kernel.
Disclaimer: This has been tested ONLY on the T-Mobile Galaxy S2, codename T-989. Please do not try this kernel on any other device, as you may end up with a sleek brick!!
You’ll need ClockWorkMod to do this. If you don’t have it already, get the ClockWorkMod Recovery and Root for your T-989 from here.
How to Install this kernel:
- Download the Zedomax T989 Kernel here. Name – Zedomax-T989-Kernel-v0.1.zip. Size – 6.44MB.
- Transfer the kernel — Zedomax-T989-Kernel-v0.1.zip — to phone’s sdcard.
- Then, switch Off your phone.
- Boot into CWR (ClockWorkMod Recovery) mode — hold both Volume_UP and Volume_DOWN buttons and press Power key.
- Once you’re in recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Select “install zip from sdcard”. Then, select “choose zip from sdcard” or “choose zip from internal sdcard” whatever gets you to your phone’s sdcard.
- Now, browse through and select the kernel file — Zedomax-T989-Kernel-v0.1.zip — you transferred in step 2 above.
- Select “Yes” on next screen and kernel will be installed on your phone.
- That’s it. You can now connect USB flash drives, USB mouse, USB keyboards, USB Hard disks, etc that are independently powered.